More Ebay madness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
I honestly believe some people go blind to reality, it's as if auction fever kicks in.

I'm willing to believe that more people have heard about eBay than Classic Hand Tools. Which is a shame as they are a really good supplier. So let's just remind all our readers and the search engine bots that an excellent source of all things for hand woodworking, including a wide range of premium quality planes at fair prices, is Classic Hand Tools of Suffolk, England! !

I would have thought though Andy, should someone be willing to pay the best part of 300 quid for a plane then they would have some realisation of what they were buying and thus taken the time to establish the new price of a 'premium plane'.

I agree with you, the bidder may not be aware of the small independent suppliers of such tools however, there are others, such as Axminster which not so small offer the item at the same price.

I have noted however, the more the beat up the item the more its seems to be valued, and sought after.

As a seller one would hope such people are around should you decide to sell.

David

Its very common on ebay for people to pay over the price for items - they either don't research or care or are buying for another.

I sold mine for £210 and it was near mint. *sigh*

iNewbie":36erqf1l said:
Its very common on ebay for people to pay over the price for items - they either don't research or care or are buying for another.

I sold mine for £210 and it was near mint. *sigh*

Thats a bit of a begger as I have an eye out for one. :cry:

David

It was a while ago though - every no 6 I've seen doesn't seem to hold its price like the other planes. Except that auction you posted.

Yep, No. 6 are typically less expensive. Most of the ones I see on US Ebay are well-used (anecdotal evidence). Says something. I love the size of them.

In the states, when we see a plane like that sell for a price as high or higher than new here, we assume that it's a UK or continental european buyer (where new cost is higher than new cost here).

I'm not sure what we assume when it happens in the UK!

It's a good reason to buy Lie Nielsen tools (same applies to Festool). If you decide woodwork's not for you you'll get most of your money back, where as anything spent on Anant or Rutlands tat is money you'll never see again. If you think of woodwork costs in the same way as car costs, i.e. the biggest element is depreciation, then you'd never buy anything else.

Looking at buying my lad his first bike a year or 2 ago. My mate said try Islabikes, When I looked I nearly had a heart attack. £200! For a kids bike! my first reaction was 'my first bike was free!' I'll look at argos bikes! But then I did my research. So the Islabikes are kids bikes but made specifically for kids. The parts are made smaller, the brakes are made for little fingers etc. Basically, they are the clifton?LN equivalent.
Still. I couldn't believe the price. But then, then, you look at secondhand prices on ebay. Good condition second hand isla bike goes 'regularly/normally' for £180. So in fact my lad gets an awesome bike for 2 years for about £20-30. And so does his little sister 8) l! Less than the cost of a crappy argos bolt together made in god knows where, possibly by other kids his own age.
Money makes money except where you're too stupid or rich to care.

Bm101":2fxg0qre said:
Looking at buying my lad his first bike a year or 2 ago. My mate said try Islabikes, When I looked I nearly had a heart attack. £200! For a kids bike! my first reaction was 'my first bike was free!' I'll look at argos bikes! But then I did my research. So the Islabikes are kids bikes but made specifically for kids. The parts are made smaller, the brakes are made for little fingers etc. Basically, they are the clifton?LN equivalent.
Still. I couldn't believe the price. But then, then, you look at secondhand prices on ebay. Good condition second hand isla bike goes 'regularly/normally' for £180. So in fact my lad gets an awesome bike for 2 years for about £20-30. And so does his little sister 8) l! Less than the cost of a crappy argos bolt together made in god knows where, possibly by other kids his own age.
Money makes money except where you're too stupid or rich to care.

++1 Isla bikes. top discovery! :D

custard":2fqg7ec8 said:
It's a good reason to buy Lie Nielsen tools (same applies to Festool). If you decide woodwork's not for you you'll get most of your money back, where as anything spent on Anant or Rutlands tat is money you'll never see again. If you think of woodwork costs in the same way as car costs, i.e. the biggest element is depreciation, then you'd never buy anything else.
I bet the seller never expected to get all his money back though :)

Mike Bremner":3r57yb7g said:
custard":3r57yb7g said:
I bet the seller never expected to get all his money back though :)

He didn't get all his money back, not when you factor in Ebay fees. I also suspect that it was a lucky day for him, so he got a higher price than the norm. I suspect the average loss on this type of LN might be in the order of £50 or £60? Which is still very good for a used product.

On ebay madness, a friend of my daughters was watching something that was an auction that also had a buy it now price - the auction sold at higher than the buy it now!

Cheerio,

Carl

Carl P":e9oqg3ig said:
On ebay madness, a friend of my daughters was watching something that was an auction that also had a buy it now price - the auction sold at higher than the buy it now!

Cheerio,

Carl
The BIN dissappears after the first bid, so if the BIN was say £20, someone may have bid £1 and the BIN is gone. Then it's just a regular auction and the sale goes to the highest bidder. The winning bidder probably didn't see it while the BIN was active.

I've seen many items go for more on auction that what the by it now price is on the same item listed by the same seller. Both new and used items.

I have to admit I've been guilty of getting carried away a couple of times and paying more than I had originally planned to, but I've never been daft enough to go higher than BIN prices.

With the likes of eBay I think your best friend is patience. I've had some great bargains just by waiting.

I've bought 4 or 5 woodworking tools as BIN's in the last couple of years. It's highly unlikely that I would have got any of them cheaper in the actual auction. Some folk just put stuff on and can't be bothered with the auction. Often the prices are high, very occasionally they are extremely reasonable.

Austinisgreat":ebsv09f6 said:
Guys you prob saw this in the other forum but can anyone tell me all of the various planes these people use. I am amazed at the quality.

Cheers,

https://youtu.be/YGHe8LLZY0o

Andrew

Looks like he uses Lie nielsen kit

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4063/handplanes

L N Bedrock style 4 1/2 for smoothing, low angle for jointing
A few block planes and a shoulder
Quite a few spokeshaves

LN no.9 mitre plane he uses has been disconitued due to production costs.

Back