A sad tale of the one that got away

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometimes on ebay you get really lucky, and a few weeks ago I spotted this item on a buy it now.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171468309235? ... EBIDX%3AIT.
I didn't even look at the extra images, and just pressed the buy it now, got the usual conformation that I had won the item, and paid for it immediately.
About half an hour later the seller marked the item as paid for and posted. This seemed a bit quick as it was a Saturday, but he had used hermes tracked so I had hope it would be ok. The item was due to arrive in about 7 working days, but this time came and went so we contacted the seller to see if he could let us know the tracking number.
This is where it all go's terribly wrong.
The seller was new to ebay, so in his defense I can slightly see how he was deceived. What had occurred is that 20 minuets after I had won the plane, he received an email from another ebay user who sent this message.---
Dear *************************

"hello ****** have just picked up 2 planes on buy it now can i pick up today thanks mark i am in *********** .can you mail your tel no and full address thanks .ps one at 7 pounds also 1 at 8 pounds thanks mark

The seller had also put up another record plane which this bogus seller purchaced.
This scoundrel then drove to the sellers house and picked up both planes.
I have raised this issue with ebay, and the internet fraud department of the police who are going to examine the case and decide if they are going to pursue the issue.
Unfortunatly after finaly receiving a very rude reply from "*********". he informed me that he had already sold the plane at a Welsh vegetable antique collectors fair, so there's no chance of recovering it know :cry:

I think that you'll find that if you tell eBay and the police that YOUR plane was stolen by fraudulent deceipt of the innocent seller whilst "in transit" to you by the thief you would be totally correct and in your rights to do so.

Report as theft. That's the way..and get a crime number.

Disgusting and amazingly stupid!

Good luck mate!

Jim

Dangermouse.":xjobls3y said:
The police will do NOTHING and tell you its a civil matter !! :twisted: :evil:

Totally disagree in this case it's clear cut premeditated planned theft of something Richard owned from the moment he paid for it.

He also defrauded the seller.

Absolutely 100% sure.

Jimi

surely this is clear theft and should be followed up
Richard had paid for it
the thief has not even paid for item

Steve

I hope your right Jimi, but somehow I don't think so. the best you might get out of it is a crime number.

It's theft from the description you give Rich. He has dishonestly (by pretending he bought the item you had in fact bought) appropriated (when he collected it) property belonging to another (you, or possibly the seller, depending on timings) with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it (he's sold it on). You could make a case for fraud by false representation, but I wouldn't, as theft is simpler I think.

If you have any issues with it being referred to as a civil matter, PM me (I'm a police officer). ***** is on the Cheshire force area, but Swinton is in GMP (Greater Manchester), not Lancs, as per the seller's details. I won't be able to get directly involved, but will be able to give you some advice. I would speak to GMP in the first instance, as the offence has taken place on them.

Dangermouse.":38qlggqu said:
I hope your right Jimi, but somehow I don't think so. the best you might get out of it is a crime number.

I am definitely right and with a crime number they will deal with the theft according to priority...depending on their present workload. Clearly serious crime will take priority but theft is treated as serious enough to warrant investigation and prosecution.

This is a clear cut theft...with documentary evidence and they have the alleged criminal's details as well...which makes it a totally stupid crime.

If what Richard says is true then this should be an open and shut case. And...to add insult to injury....the guy could also be guilty of fencing stolen goods!

Richard....look on the bright....it's an adjuster model...so not really worth having anyway!!! :mrgreen:

Jimi

Hi folks.
Thank you for all the words of support.
I have already got a crime number, but from what I can gather I now have to wait for up to 28 days for conformation that they consider the case worth proceeding with. Unfortunately as I never received the plane in the first place it would appear that technically it was never stolen from myself, but they said it may be pursued due to the fact that he impersonated me which is a crime against myself.
Frankly I don't expect to get any form of compensation from this, but if the police did go knocking on his door and put the wind up him, that would be some sort of result :!:
What is a bit disturbing is that ebay don't seem at all interested in this, and the bloke is still an active ebay member with a 100 percent feedback score :twisted:
By the way Jimi's spot on I don't know why I'm so upset about all this as he rightly says it was fitted with one of those new fangled twisty things so it wasn't worth anything anyway :)

You even have an admission of guilt, so neither the seller or fraudster are the sharpest tool in the box.

Unfortunatly after finaly receiving a very rude reply from "********". he informed me that he had already sold the plane at a **** antique collectors fair, so there's no chance of recovering it know :cry:

Good Luck, hope you get some justice.

richarnold":13vxbtfa said:
Hi folks.
Thank you for all the words of support.
I have already got a crime number, but from what I can gather I now have to wait for up to 28 days for conformation that they consider the case worth proceeding with. Unfortunately as I never received the plane in the first place it would appear that technically it was never stolen from myself, but they said it may be pursued due to the fact that he impersonated me which is a crime against myself.
Frankly I don't expect to get any form of compensation from this, but if the police did go knocking on his door and put the wind up him, that would be some sort of result :!:
What is a bit disturbing is that ebay don't seem at all interested in this, and the bloke is still an active ebay member with a 100 percent feedback score :twisted:
By the way Jimi's spot on I don't know why I'm so upset about all this as he rightly says it was fitted with one of those new fangled twisty things so it wasn't worth anything anyway :)

Good on yer Richard!

Zero tolerance is the order of the day...has to be...else where will it lead!

Ebay is not at fault nor can they do anything here. They will be able to provide details to the police to support their enquiries but that's it. This is perfectly correct...hence the need for the police to act on your behalf.

Jimi

Good point, might be an idea to ask the mods to delete it.

However Robin has just revealed your chances of justice are very slim.

Even if the police ask for his address they will get his old polish one and no further action can be taken.

Mr_P":6hxouqzz said:
Good point, might be an idea to ask the mods to delete it.

However Robin has just revealed your chances of justice are very slim.

Even if the police ask for his address they will get his old polish one and no further action can be taken.

Thats what I was thinking

Back