more computer woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my desktop. It started freezing up a couple of weeks ago. I formatted the drive and reloaded windows xp. It started freezing again and this morning wouldn't start at all. I left a while and it restarted only to go completely blank and wouldn't start again. I don't know if the hard drive or the motherboard is at fault. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Where in the startup process does it freeze? If you can't even get to the bios screen then it might be as simple as the power supply unit. This is easy to check with a volt meter. It should be producing 5V and 12V if it is a standard PSU.

After that you are looking at Memory, motherboard and so it goes on.

Best of luck, I know how frustrating and time-consuming it is when computers pack up.

Cheers
Steve

Another thing to check if the machine is a year or two old, dust and fluff build up. I try and open our machines every year and carefully vacuum the insides. (A small paint brush is useful tool to aid this.)
I had a machine where the fins on the processor heat sink had filled up with dust, it would have melted down if I had not cleaned it, odd things were beginning to happen.

I also find reseating the memory in the slots improves reliability on older kit.

In the 80's I worked in a college and we had 100+ BBC machines. One of the routine summer break tasks for my technicians was to open every one, a quick vacuum and them remove the keyboard connector and clean it. Any machine that was missed would fail before Christmas with a reported dud keyboard.

I very often find that a dodgy RAM board is the fault with thesse symptoms - if you have any others then I'd try replacing it to see if that gives different results.

After messing about all morning The computer will now start, run normally for a few minutes then go blank, it then won't start for about 20-30 minutes.
the ps2 mouse won't work now so I think the problem lies with the motherboard.

jaymar":39r6don1 said:
After messing about all morning The computer will now start, run normally for a few minutes then go blank, it then won't start for about 20-30 minutes.
the ps2 mouse won't work now so I think the problem lies with the motherboard.

That doesn't sound like RAM. I'd go with Roger's suggestion, given the new symptoms, particularly as it will run for a short time then needs a break. Definitely sounds like heat problems.

check the caps on the motherboard, tell tail signs are ozony smell and bulging caps.
If this is the case, (I`ve seen many before) you can get un-reliable freezing.
Sadly its a facet of using the cheap components that motherboard manufacturers use.
Check the big ones usually around the CPU and memory.

PSUs normally go pop, and never work again, however I have seen a few that won't supply the full current on the 5V supply, which is a pipper to find because a simple multimeter check shows up 5V.........

good luck

Steve

PSU, I am almost certain. Had a friends doing exactly the same thing, it had enough juice to power up for a short while then died, took an hour before you could start it back up again.

Replaced the PSU and sorted. Do you have another computer you can nick the PSU out of to prove it first? If so it's easy, I can talk you through it if you want.

My best guess is heat issue or potential PSU failing.

However many other factors or combinations of factors could cause these issues :shock:

Consider checking the following:

1. Have you run Anti VIrus and Anti Spyware recently?
Suspect that all should be ok as you have recently formatted and re installed windows but worth a check.

2. Have you installed any new hardware or software?
If yes consider uninstalling to see if the problem goes away. New drivers etc can cause issues such as locking up etc.

3 Check your HDD for free space.
You need to have at least 20% free space available. Low disk space can lead to freezing.

4 Check the HDD
It is possible that logical structure is somehow corrupt.
Assuming drive is disk C right click on icon in My Computer.
Select the Tools tab and select Check Now in Error Checking box. Tick boxes to fix errors etc. You may be prompted to check next time you restart. The checking may take some time!

5. Check for overheating.
Overheating is another common cause of freezing and can be caused by problems with fans inside the case, graphics card or CPU fan or PSU fan.
dust buildup, or other cooling problems. Make sure the power supply fan and CPU fan in particular are free from dust and running properly

6. Check the memory.
It is also possible that freezing could be caused by your memory starting to fail. Worth running a test using a diagnostic tool such as Windows Memory diagnostics http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp. If you do find problems try reseating or if you have more than 1 stick of RAM try each individually.

Check Device manager
Goto Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager. Are their any yellow triangles containing yellow exclamation mark? If so these need to be resolved.

Thats probably enough to check for now :lol:

Good luck

Cheers :D
Tony

I have come to the conclusion that the ps2 connection is at fault . The F
freezing I think was a lack of both keyboard and mouse connection. I did fit a new keyboard recently which may have caused the problem. I think I have no option but to fit a new M/B, Thanks for all the interest and suggestions,

If it is the keyboard connection, does the mother board support USB keyboards? A USB keyboard will be much cheaper than a new mother board.

I seriously think you need to do some more troubleshooting here. A new k/b and mouse may cause lockups (unlikely. Possible yes, but very uncommon), I really think the PSU is the issue here.

I can't say unequivocally, obviously, but I have spent many years fiing these exact kinds of problems for friends and family and I will be very surprised if you find the issue somewhere other than the PSU.

Your call...

I agree with Dave and Mark and if it was me I would be looking at getting a cheap USB keyboard even PC World sell cheap ones from £6. A lot cheaper than a new Mobo and a lot less hassle - you may need to upgrade other components if Mobo is old? Always handy to have a spare - just in case

Cheers :D
Tony

Back