More Bedrock madness.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the fact that a mound runs the length of the plane of about 4 thou height can be assertained, I felt that its position relative to the edge of the sole is probably known.

However having thought about my suggestion further.
The snag with working the base, by hand, must be that, for the un-practised, it would be very easy to introduce futher errors or make worse existing ones.
I think I would now favour some sort of device which sets the 'grinding' surface square to the sides, assuming they are parallel. Perhaps a disc sander? This should work principally on the high spots and at whatever angle the table is set.
Having the sole surface ground would sort the problem, with due respect to other threads on this particular subject of course.

xy

xy mosian":18i2w32k said:
If the fact that a mound runs the length of the plane of about 4 thou height can be assertained, I felt that its position relative to the edge of the sole is probably known.

However having thought about my suggestion further.
The snag with working the base, by hand, must be that, for the un-practised, it would be very easy to introduce futher errors or make worse existing ones.
I think I would now favour some sort of device which sets the 'grinding' surface square to the sides, assuming they are parallel. Perhaps a disc sander? This should work principally on the high spots and at whatever angle the table is set.
Having the sole surface ground would sort the problem, with due respect to other threads on this particular subject of course.

xy

It sounds like you're half-way towards reinventing the surface grinder anyway!

BugBear

Karl

That's an awsome looking plane - "majestic" is the word that comes to mind.

But it's puzzling how a plane with such a convex sole like yours could ever have been used properly. And yet the fact that you've had to do so much "organ transplantion" suggests it was heavily used in its long life.

Could you use a belt sander to reduce the worst of that "hump"?

Bugbear, that thought occurred to me as well.
But .... there ain't many woodworking shops with a surface grinder.

xy

Evergreen":19fhbis8 said:
Karl

That's an awsome looking plane - "majestic" is the word that comes to mind.

But it's puzzling how a plane with such a convex sole like yours could ever have been used properly. And yet the fact that you've had to do so much "organ transplantion" suggests it was heavily used in its long life.

Could you use a belt sander to reduce the worst of that "hump"?

I've been wondering about the convexity in the width myself. Can't really figure out how it would have gone like that - especially to such an extent. Even more puzzling when you think that the length of the sole was reasonably flat.

Anyway - it is 98 years old so I guess it's seen a fair bit of work!

Cheers

Karl

I decided to go with the file method first to remove most of the convexity. I was a bit tentative as I didn't want to make too much of a mess of the sole which would require further work later on on the suface plate.

Anyway, i've finished the filing - only took about 30 mins in the end. I've now got to spend a little time on the surface plate with some 60grit paper (the coarsest i've got). Hope i've got enough of it left to get it finished tonight.

Cheers

Karl

Well here is as far as i've got tonight before running out of paper

DSCF1380.jpg

The majority of the convexity in the width has been removed, and there is now mainly a slight rounding around the perimeter. Flatness along the length has been restored after filing.

Must have used about 5 meters of 60 grit to get to this stage - the paper was wearing out after about 2 minutes. Well not exactly wearing out - it still cut - but it was cutting much much slower. After reading a link in BB's site to the S&S blog I realised that there wasn't much point in wasting time in continuing trying to flatten once the paper had lost its initial bite.

I'm going to pick up some more paper tomorrow and get the job finished tomorrow evening.

Cheers

Karl

Cheers guys.

I probably spent about 2 hours today on the plane sole. I reckon another couple of hours tomorrow will have it cracked.

Cheers

Karl

Yeah - that'd be a bit of a bummer after all that work.

It's actually not clamped in the vice - the "flats" are resting on the tops of the jaws, and the jaws are actually lightly clamping the blade. I have it in this position for checking the sole for flatness with a straight edge.

Cheers

Karl[/img]

Karl":1soxsn29 said:

It's actually not clamped in the vice - the "flats" are resting on the tops of the jaws, and the jaws are actually lightly clamping the blade. I have it in this position for checking the sole for flatness with a straight edge.

Cheers

Karl[/img]

Did you see my, and Roger Nixon's simpler, solution to plane holding under zero stress?

BugBear

bugbear":1pqs7w74 said:
Karl":1pqs7w74 said:

Cheers

Karl[/img]

Did you see my, and Roger Nixon's simpler, solution to plane holding under zero stress?

BugBear

No - do you have a link?

Cheers

Karl

Karl":2xox6t3p said:
bugbear":2xox6t3p said:
Karl":2xox6t3p said:

Cheers

Karl[/img]

BugBear

No - do you have a link?

Cheers

Karl

It's the site you were reading before, the one with (amongst other things) a link to S&S doing lapping correctly.

BugBear

Thanks BB - there's a lot of info on your site, so i'll have to spend some time having a good look round.

Anyway, finished lapping the sole

DSCF1384.jpg

I say finished - actually I have only taken the finish to 80g, and then a quick skim with 120g. I'm not sure if the sole is likely to move after the lapping, so I didn't want to waste any more time on taking it through to 240g for a nice finish if I end up doing more work on it in a month or so's time. I'll check it over in a few weeks and see if it's moved.

And the compulsory shaving pic

DSCF1387.jpg

Cheers

Karl

Karl, according to the late Jim Kingshott, the sole (of an old plane) should remain stable even after being worked on to correct any deviations in flatness as the casting has had more than enough time to 'settle'.
Nice job.
Now, can I 'borrow' it? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Cheers guys

Adam - i've seen/read/heard confilcting advice re: movement after flattening. Time will tell I suppose. And yes, you can borrow it. Permanently. For a nice price........... :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Latest posts

Back