More Bedrock madness.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RILEY":3eagwnk7 said:
Karl, according to the late Jim Kingshott, the sole (of an old plane) should remain stable even after being worked on to correct any deviations in flatness as the casting has had more than enough time to 'settle'.
Nice job.
Now, can I 'borrow' it? :wink: :lol: :lol:

There's quite a few instances on the oldtools list of even old planes moving a little. Modern planes can move rather a lot :-(

I think the late JK simply had a smaller sample, in his pre-internet world.

BugBear

Having regard to the price of a new one, I think I might have been tempted to shell out for a regrind from Ray Isles (although the postage will probably cost more than the work!). Good luck with the froghunt, a nice job!

ivan":11zvvu5b said:
Having regard to the price of a new one, I think I might have been tempted to shell out for a regrind from Ray Isles (although the postage will probably cost more than the work!). Good luck with the froghunt, a nice job!

Thanks Ivan. I did consider sending it to Ray, but I think the cost would have been prohibitive. In the end the sole flattening turned out really well.

Froghunt - the plane has a Frog - but not a 2 5/8" lever cap. Having said that, it is working perfectly well with the 2 3/8" lever cap which is on there at the moment - no doubt due to the fact that the blade has been given a camber and that there is only 1/4" difference in the two lever caps.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":2zg081cj said:
...Having said that, it is working perfectly well with the 2 3/8" lever cap which is on there at the moment - no doubt due to the fact that the blade has been given a camber and that there is only 1/4" difference in the two lever caps.
I note the Jack Rabbet (#010/10) and Smooth Rabbet (#010½/10½) have 2⅛" wide iron & cap iron, but only a 1¾" wide lever cap.

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back