Monthly Challenge De-Brief

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Going back a bit there was discussion about setting something up for beginners and various discussions took place which never really reached a conclusion, it slid down the discussion page and off into oblivion.

I have been giving this some thought and offer this as a suggestion.

If following the month of competition another "sticky" was created for the primary purpose of sharig expertise, not just amongst those that have submitted entries, but for all and sundry to ask basic to advanced questions of how do you do that, what did you do to get that finish etc and to use it as a learning centre. It would have the effect of being a library of processes which would be good for people trying things new or trying different techniques. Following on from the previous month it would have a gallery of ideas. Also no one would need to be coy as the competition would be over for that element.

Over time and as different projects are attempted it would be a useful "How to" resource which could be accessed by new turners or those trying new skills.

discuss ....

Hi Colin

I can see where you are coming from and yes it would be good

But , will you get the commitment from everyone to do WIP on the projects and post up the methods / techniques used

In previous years I did a lot of full WIP projects spent lots of time ( hours ) photographing typing and posting projects onto the forum

Sometimes the post would have over 200 views and maybe 1 or 2 reply's so I have scaled back my wip posts

Other members that also did the same for example " Stew from Tokyo " he did lots of projects and wips , cant remember the last time he posted on the forum :(

The same still happens today , for example this thread latest-pen-t52248.html over 166 views and 1 comment
I personally found it disheartening as others may have as well

My reason for starting the challenge was to encourage more posts on the turning forum and I am pleased to say it had a very good take up with over 50 signing up , 6 months later we now have around 20 regulars , I understand that with today's hectic schedules its not always possible to enter so for some it has to be when time allows

If you get a good take up of your idea I will support the venture :mrgreen: and do some wips

See what happens 8)

Blister":4fbp4t9z said:
Other members that also did the same for example " Stew from Tokyo " he did lots of projects and wips , cant remember the last time he posted on the forum :(

Stuart posts daily over on familywoodworking Allan, hes still around - just not here.......

I do feel for people that post and get zero reply - i get little feedback myself, but my ego is fine with that. - but people are busy, and i find that on a monday am - i have a quick scan - them mark all as read !!!! - so any weekend poster - Sorry - i might miss you !

from tue on i try to read each post till friday - and replay if i feel the need.

I also look at WR, family, wow, wwi, ukap, several blogs such as syzygy and have 3 of my own sites to admin, and this is all while being at work !!!

However - back to the suggestion,

I'm willing to feedback if asked directly - Perhaps we can all find the time to do some WIP big or small - a whole project or some small aspect ?

Regs

laurence

I would certainly be interested as a beginner to see how things are made. I would think that a full WIP might be a bit timeconsuming for regulars so perhaps a demonstration of how to do a detail or how the decoration was achieved etc would be the most useful.

I'm often stunned at what is produced but I generally have little idea of how it was achieved. I have asked questions in the past and it's certainly very informative.

Blister":3v0h7lg7 said:
The same still happens today , for example this thread latest-pen-t52248.html over 166 views and 1 comment
I personally found it disheartening as others may have as well

As one of those that viewed Chris' thread referenced here, my lack of comment was down to the lack of wood...

I don't like that pen kit so any comment was going to be negative, but also irrelevant - so I didn't make it. Nice plastic mix just didn't seem right either.

In the wider context of this thread I would certainly like to feel able to ask 'how the hell did you do that?' in respect to quite a few pieces of work, and anything that takes us (me) a step further towards this being the norm is progress (for me). Any responses wouldn't need to be detailed WIP, but obviously that helps and is appreciated (which I will/do respond with! =D> )

Oh dear Oh dear, after 3 yrs trying to post a picture I dont think I could make a feature lenght film, But I do appreciate when somebody does do a WIP and it would be nice if it was commented on. Hope it comes to pass REgards Boysie

Hi

I think on occasions it will be helpful to do full blown WIPs but my thoughts were that the follow on might be more enquiries on specifics, for example how to achieve a certain finish, or does that type of wood always do "that", how do you manage to create that effect, what tool did you use to do that, etc. where all and sundry could ask or seek comment from the forum and certainly not exclusive to challenge entrants.

Alternatively it could be used for questions in the genre of "it ended up like this but what I really wanted to achieve was that"?

It would address the Turner wanting to try something new, inspired by the Challenge through to a "masterclass" from a proficient member sharing an expertise.

This is to supplement existing comments, please don't take this in any way of directing discussion, but I didn't want it to dwell on WIP's at the exclusion of other ideas

sorry Colin, i've got my muppet head on this morning :?
i agree a repository of knowledge would be a great resource, but I cant quite grasp what you suggest. is it simply making each months comp results a sticky so all related comments/techniques etc are in one spot, effectively creating 'how to make ...' stickies?
or something else?
whilst i am, and would be more than happy to provide any info to those (admittedly few :!: ) lower down the turning food chain, would we end up relying on the chosen few to provide the how to's? or wips?
i am not naysaying just not sure what you mean :oops:
cheers

nev":3lr9ti0u said:
sorry Colin, i've got my muppet head on this morning :?
i agree a repository of knowledge would be a great resource, but I cant quite grasp what you suggest. is it simply making each months comp results a sticky so all related comments/techniques etc are in one spot, effectively creating 'how to make ...' stickies?
or something else?
whilst i am, and would be more than happy to provide any info to those (admittedly few :!: ) lower down the turning food chain, would we end up relying on the chosen few to provide the how to's? or wips?
i am not naysaying just not sure what you mean :oops:
cheers

Sorry if I was not making myself clear.

The idea is that the month after the competition a new thread be entered, which could go in the Sticky's behind the month befores competition . So in effect there would be a discussion on how things were done to arrive at the results in the gallery.

For Example, This month the task is Decorated Platter. Once the competitive isolation has passed we are usually happy to share what we did, what we failed at and after the months competition has closed we would all be free to speak openly about our projects and techniques. Therefore next month, we will be beavering away on the next project but if asked and share details on what we did the month before.

The idea being that we can get pointers on how we could have improved. Forum members not in the competition have a whole lot of knowledge they could share and people trying to do what we have done will be able to ask for guidance armed with a resource of the month befores pictures to point to. This was where the idea started in that some new members want to learn what we have done.

still not entirely sure this is much clearer - but hey ho

Hi all

I like the idea. Being self taught I think it would be really helpful.
The first couple of months in the challenge there was a very helpful person called BOB who put some videos on here of how to do that month's item. I found them invaluable and was very grateful indeed..... Hint hint.. the jewellery month is coming.. and I have no clue!!!

Back