Modification to workshop floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I needed to break down a sheet of MDF.
The only place I can do this is on the floor of the workshop.
Got everything set up. Battens under the sheet to support it. Chalk line along the length of the sheet and the circular saw ready to go.
Start the cut - going great. Finish the cut and pick up the cut-off.
Oh bu***r! Who forgot to set the blade depth, then?

Spent the next half hour fixing the slot I had just cut in the floor. Dead straight, eight feet long!
Fortunately, yesterdy I was cutting some hardwood lipping and I had some very thin offcuts left over. With some slight planing, a lot of glue and a hammer I now have a brown feature stripe along the floor!
What a stupid thing to do. Too much concetrating on the next part of the job and missing the simplest part of the current one!

Thought you might find this amusing.
Cheers.

SF

You wont be the only one SF, although personally i have never
done that. :oops:

Wizer
That's a very good point. Makes the whole thing sound even more stupid.
Actually, if that had been the case I suppose there might have been a couple of clues that the cut was not going quite right. Noise, sparks etc!
I feel really annoyed with myself, actually.
Oh well.

SF

Could've been worse - pipes/cables under the floor???

Cheers

Karl

Actually I have done it a few time, went right through a steel trestle once :oops:

i put a cut all the way through my bosses brand new workmate once with a small trim saw. was literally 5 minits after he picked it up from the shop. Of course i did the only right thing and told him the apprentice did it.

I did it to my table saw extension! Its amazing how easy cast iron cuts, I didn't even notice! :shock:

Shadowfax":2nh5yv71 said:
Cast iron?
I'm starting to feel better now.

SF

D'oh!! (homer)

1491120979_dbd3db900f_o.jpg

I did the same thing when I was making some benches at work. I laid the ply on top of one of the legs I had just cut and put a neat groove all the way up the leg! :oops: Luckily I hid it on the back of the bench so no one would notice. :wink: Oh I also cut a neat slot in my friends plastic trestles with the router once too. :oops: I guess we all make em! :lol:

Shadowfax":1d1n3p12 said:
Not so easy to glue a patch in that.
Lucky it was on the edge, I guess.

I reckon with a tube of one of those metal-loaded epoxies you could do a pretty good repair, if not an invisible one.

Back