Mobiles on planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bug-bear about flying (well it's always economy) is the idion in front who reclines theior seat without checking behind first.

I was sitting in one such with my knees under my chin when this woman in front tilted back. I asked her (as politely as I could given that her chair was a micron away from my nose) to put her chair upright. "I've got a baby" was her reply! Her husband did actually suggest that she put it up. She then proceeded to change the baby's nappy there in the seat, whilst the stewards were serving dinner! I'm not making this up honest. The stewards suggested she used the loo.

On another occasion the bloke in front put his chair back and completely ignored me when I asked him not to. So I simply got out of my seat and stood in the aisle in front of him. Of course, in order to let people pass I had to move back, didn't I? I was standing, he was sitting. I tried really hard to have alimentary problems but sadly failed on that occasion.

My current solution is to carry a pencil. That usually gets through security. I then break it in half and shove it down the seat mechanism, preventing the chair in front from being tilted back. It does work, although the pencil gets destroyed.
It's worth it.
Anyone got a better solution?
S

Steve Maskery":3o270yu6 said:
My current solution is to carry a pencil. That usually gets through security. I then break it in half and shove it down the seat mechanism, preventing the chair in front from being tilted back. It does work, although the pencil gets destroyed.
It's worth it.
Anyone got a better solution?
S

very elegant Steve. Whereabouts is the mechanism?

Having very long legs, my knees actually touch the seat in front so when chummy reclines and doesn't even want to compromise ..well, my knees are now in the small of his back and I have restless legs

The chair back is pivoted below the part which supports the tray. The two are independent, so that when the chair tilts back the tray doesn't. There is a pin on the tray support which sticks out horizontally each side. The chair moves back until it hits this pin. So if you can wedge the space between chair and pin, the chair can't be tilted back. A proper pair of wedges would be better, although how you would explain their presence in your pocket I'm not quite sure.
S

Steve Maskery":2lx4dzme said:
My bug-bear about flying (well it's always economy) is the idion in front who reclines theior seat without checking behind first.S

My bugbear, is having paid for a reclining chair when some numpty behind starts tutting when you use it. :lol: If you want more space, spend the £££ and buy an upgrade. If not (or you can't afford it like me), live with the rest of world and accept that the reclining chair is provided for the person sitting in it, not the person sitting behind it.

Reclining chairs are specifically setup to not interfere with the table of the chair behind, so it's not like you drop a cup of hot coffee on them when you tilt it back. They only tilt from part way up so its mostly the appearance of it invading your space rather than it actually affecting your seating position. I will grant, it makes a small difference for long legged people but you have after all chosen to use that airline. You can A) arrive early if its easyjet and board earlier and get a bulkhead seat or B) Login online and get a bulkhead seat.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on that point.

Adam

Having spent what seems a lifetime on planes - at one point a couple of years ago I was on two to three flights a day - these days I hate the whole business of flying. The silly person behind who can't stand up without leaning on the back of your seat, the silly person in front who reclines his seat dumping a coffee into your lap ( sorry Adam have to disagree - it's happened more than once to me) The silly person at the side who is so fat he should have bought two seats but didn't and thinks he can borrow part of yours. Do I come across as grumpy? I dozed off on a long haul flight back from KL once upon a time and woke up to find the bloke next to me had plugged his headphones into my seat arm so that his cable was stretched accross me - his excuse? His socket didnt work. PAH! Phones on planes are just another annoyance which for me pale into insignificance next to the whole flying thing.

and another thing.....

Cheers Mike

Flying as a whole is a pain, from the waiting in the terminal to the numpties on the plane to the arriving at your destination looking and feeling like a squashed sarnie in a lunchbox. However, I think we have all been used to very cheap flights for too long. For instance, I need to go to Nice in the South of France for work next month (hard job but someone has to go) cost of flight is £53 each way wityh British Airways. That is phenomenal value when you think about the distance covered and the time taken (2 hours flight time). It costs £53 to get to London by train from Kent and takes about the same amount of time!

In short, yes, flying economy is not ideal, and upgrading is expensive in comparison. However, when you think of what you actually get for your money its actually incredibly cheap compared to other forms of transport. We have just become used to cheap flights (Ryanair and easyjet deals for silly money) and moan about the quality of service instead. If you want a pleasant experience as well as to travel that distance, sadly it costs.

Steve.

Adam":1pi0xkzv said:
RogerS":1pi0xkzv said:
Adam":1pi0xkzv said:
I think what will put people off is the price. A good incentive to keep people to short calls.

Adam

I don't think that it will...the business will pay and/or people will ring them.

Someone pays. I work (although not in that division) for a company that develops this technology. It's not cheap to install, build, develop, run, and it needs satellites.

People don't bat an eyelid when people talk in trains anymore, or cross channel ferries (which have a surprisngly good signal), its just another development and those that don't like it probably would rather it wasn't on other items of transport as well I'd imagine.

Best to get a mobile phone jammer if you really don't like them! But switch it off if the planes takes a dive when you are playing with it!

Adam
You should never bring a phone jammer onto plane. It will affect the normal operation of the plane. Dangerous.

thread_resurrection.gif

I bet Batman has a mobile phone on the Bat Plane.

RESULT!!!!!
Flight from Sydney to Dubai ,,,mobile phone user in front drops phone while asleep,,, couldn"t resist,,, kicked phone back under seats ,,I know it"s childish,,but ,,,,
,,,joe,,,

I have to all intents and purposes given up flying. Coming from Cornwall it is actually quicker for me to take a ferry to France or Spain. True the flight to France is only about an hour and a half, but the wait standing in queues is hours, the drive to the airport is near a full day and then some how you have to collect your luggage the wait for hours standing queuing up to exit the airport, locate your hire car , fill in the paper work, argue about all the unexpected extras have £1,00 taken off your credit card limit until three weeks after the hire car is returned. I take the short drive to the ferry port. after boarding have a meal in the restaurant and shower and go to sleep in my bunk in my cabin. in the morning just drive off the ferry and on my journey. Much more civilised. and journey times door to door very similar.

Back