Mobiles on planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
What depressing news. I can't think of anything more guaranteed to stoke 'air-rage' as those trying to sleep get continually woken by prats shouting into their damn mobiles.

Any airline that will still ban mobiles will get my business.

"Hello.....hello....is that you Roger?"

"It's me...no...me
"

"Just thought I'd let you know, I'm on the plane"
"No, the PLANE...."

God help us.......

:D :D

Where's that muffled ring tone coming from? Ah...I think it's coming from the gentleman with the pained expression on his face. My...he does look as if he's not sitting very comfortably. I wonder why? :twisted:

I think what will put people off is the price. A good incentive to keep people to short calls.

Adam

Adam":51w03ys2 said:
I think what will put people off is the price. A good incentive to keep people to short calls.
Yes I suspect you're right; i.e. the 'ether' rate
gnome-dictionary about the ether":51w03ys2 said:
A medium of great elasticity and extreme tenuity, once supposed to pervade all space, the interior of solid bodies not excepted, and to be the medium of transmission of light and heat

RogerS":6rkr2i47 said:
Adam":6rkr2i47 said:

Adam

I don't think that it will...the business will pay and/or people will ring them.

Someone pays. I work (although not in that division) for a company that develops this technology. It's not cheap to install, build, develop, run, and it needs satellites.

People don't bat an eyelid when people talk in trains anymore, or cross channel ferries (which have a surprisngly good signal), its just another development and those that don't like it probably would rather it wasn't on other items of transport as well I'd imagine.

Best to get a mobile phone jammer if you really don't like them! But switch it off if the planes takes a dive when you are playing with it!

Adam

I can see it now - you save up all year for a nice holiday, get to Heathrow and find your plane is leaving (eventually) from Terminal 5 :shock: Your luggage goes to Italy to be reunited with you in a few months time :shock: You get on the plane and find that the supersize passenger who takes up one-and-a-half seats is on one side of you :shock: The bloke who insists on reclining his seat is in front of you :shock: The kid from hell who kicks the back of your seat for the whole journey is sitting behind you :shock: And the a*s*hole with the mobile phone is the other side of you :shock:

Think I'll stay at home :-k

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Adam":3r1nvr6y said:
RogerS":3r1nvr6y said:
Adam":3r1nvr6y said:

Adam

I don't think that it will...the business will pay and/or people will ring them.

People don't bat an eyelid when people talk in trains anymore, or cross channel ferries (which have a surprisngly good signal), its just another development and those that don't like it probably would rather it wasn't on other items of transport as well I'd imagine. ...........

You'd be surprised. You only need to look at the expressions oin peoples faces when some moron on the train is jabbering down a mobile phone at full volume. At least one some train lines there is a quiet carriage.

Perhaps they will confine it to First Class then I will not be bothered!! :lol:

I spent 2 years commuting to London by train and the mobiles drove me mad and that was only for 1hr - what it would be like on a 5hr flight I dread to think?
It would not be so bad if people transmitted short important messages like "I'm running late see you at 8:00" or what ever. But some of the conversations go on and on and are often very personal.

If it does become common I will have to invest in some soundproof noise cancelling headphones!

Rod

woodbloke":4fzkgdny said:
At least the pilots don't talk on one and fly at the same time :) .... - Rob

How do you know?

Cheers Mike

Paul Chapman":1tb4h1wa said:
find your plane is leaving (eventually) from Terminal 5 :shock: Your luggage goes to Italy to be reunited with you in a few months time :shock: You get on the plane and find that the supersize passenger who takes up one-and-a-half seats is on one side of you :shock: The bloke who insists on reclining his seat is in front of you :shock: The kid from hell who kicks the back of your seat for the whole journey is sitting behind you :shock: And the a*s*hole with the mobile phone is the other side of you :shock:
Think I'll stay at home :-k
Cheers :wink:
Paul

That is so true :lol: Glad I'm not the only one wh has suffered :roll: Just about to book a flight, I could (But won't) fly into Heathrow T5 but much prefer the 'old world' style of East Midlands :lol:

mr":1pf3s31j said:
woodbloke":1pf3s31j said:
At least the pilots don't talk on one and fly at the same time :) .... - Rob

How do you know?

Cheers Mike
Thinking about it Mike, they may well do...I only hope that they don't indulge at take-offs and landings :wink: - Rob

I always think of this when I see electronic gadgets in use on a plane

277077697_nmNM5-L.jpg

Paul, you may like to rejoice in the fact that airlines are soon going to limit the weight of passengers. For years they have assumed an average weight but as the world gets fatter (due to eating to bloody much) the overall all up weight of a full aircraft is starting to reach certain limits. I understand from work colleagues that anyone over a certain weight will have to pay for two seats, some US airlines have already started this I am told. No doubt there will be an outcry human rights and all that nonsense. personally having been in aviation testing for 40 years the extra weight would not bother me as there are safety margins (it costs the airlines more in fuel thats their real issue) but in an emergency would you like to vacate a burning aircraft when a 30 stone hulk is in your way.

Back