Mobile Signal Booster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeturner123

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

There was some chat on this several years ago, but with the passing of time, has anyone used a booster kit for poor reception?

If so how effective and do you have any advice on supplier/type?

Phil

Phil

We had a vodafone suresignal booster when my wife had a vodafone.

It worked to an extent but it obviously relied on the wifi signal.

My EE mobile can make calls over wifi so no need for the suresignal box anymore. as can my wife's O2.

Mick

Do you mean mobile phone signal or WiFi (for a mobile device)?

I'm not sure the first type are easily available to consumers, because of the implications for security and cell behaviour (the cell towers, I mean).

If you mean WiFi, I bought one of these for daughter at uni, as her hall only had sockets for cabled network connections (no WiFi). It works superbly:
713i2tevw4L._SL1500_.jpg

It will either convert a cable network connection to wifi (a "WiFi access point" or AP), or extend the range of a weak WiFi signal (without a network cable). It hangs off a mains socket (as in the picture).

It is pretty high performance when on a network cable, but will slow up a lot if you use it to extend wifi (any device of this sort will). But it works well, performance is way better than nothing, and probably fast enough to stream HD video (as long as you can do that anyway).

It has no effect on the mobile phone part of your device.

E.

PS: Other suppliers are available, obviously, but even Amazon's price now is a lot cheaper than when I bought ours almost a year ago: it was nearer 80 quid, IIRC.

MickCheese":q7dsyjej said:
Phil

My EE mobile can make calls over wifi so no need for the suresignal box anymore. as can my wife's O2.

Mick

The Vodafone SureSignal uses the 3G signal from your phone not the Wifi but as MickCheese states, it is better if your phone supports WiFi calling. They are also cheeky IMHO in that the calls made over your broadband still get 'charged' to your mobile account.

porker":2dc3z6u9 said:
MickCheese":2dc3z6u9 said:
Phil

Mick

The Vodafone SureSignal uses the 3G signal from your phone not the Wifi but as MickCheese states, it is better if your phone supports WiFi calling. They are also cheeky IMHO in that the calls made over your broadband still get 'charged' to your mobile account.

Presumably it acts as a micro-cell and converts the device's mobile signal to travel to a Vodafone node on the internet somewhere, where it drops back into their network.

So I guess they are doing routing, etc. though I agree it is all a bit pointless.

yep that's exactly how they work. They are generally known as femtocells and have been commercially available for some time but some operators offer them to consumers.

I am an O2 customer in an area where O2 seem to be constantly working on the telephone mast.
Having thrown a wobbler, they sent me a Boostbox (foc) which allows me to receive/make mobile calls over my BT broadband connection if the regular O2 signal drops out. The boost box is set up specifically for your O2 numbers.
Have to say it works quite well.

See http://www.o2.co.uk/static/www/docs/bus ... _v4_lr.pdf

Three offer a bit of (very flakey) software that lets you make (and receive calls....if there is an R in the month, a full moon and you go round in a circle anti-clockwise while reciting Kublai Khan) via the internet.

It's reliability is minimal at best.

Also some push notifications, such as those from my Nest security camera, fail to get through.

MickCheese":1aq8ovu6 said:
Phil

Mick
My EE mobile claims to make calls and send texts ove WiFi, but in reality, it's carp.
Shame really, as the only reason I "upgraded" my phone was to take advantage of "WiFi calling", since we live in a major not-spot.
Firstly, unless I engage flight mode, then turn WifFi back on, it will try to switch back to the EE network if it sees a glimmer of a signal, and then usually drops the call.
Secondly, even when I've done the flight mode thing, people tell me the audio quality is appalling. And we have very adequate broadband.

It frustrates me, as both Skype and Whatsapp seem to be capable of high quality audio(and video) over the WiFi.

Hiya,
I use the Vodafone Sure Signal. On the whole, it works quite well. However the boxes are not overly robust. My first packed up after about 6 months (was replaced under warranty), and my second packed up about 3 weeks ago, after 4 years of use. I did find that they had a tendency to run very hot. My new one is the plug-in variety and does not appear to run anywhere near as warm, so hopefully more robust.

One niggle I had with setting this new one up (not a problem with the box, per se, but Vodafones website security). To log on to Vodafone's website to configure it, as an authentication setting, Voda text you a 5 digit number that you have to type in to their website. You have about 10 minutes to type in this number. So there I am, requesting the number on the website, jumping in the car, driving two minutes up the road, receiving the text, driving back and then entering the number. Two hours later, you have to do the same thing again to add the users to the newly configured box - Oh the joys of living in the middle of nowhere.

ATB,

Chris

Robbo3":1u9zt5hd said:
You may want to read 'Mobile signal boosters: What's legal?'

- http://www.alphr.com/technology/5298/mo ... hats-legal
"Most mobile reception boosters on sale in the UK – especially online – are illegal to use."
The penalties, if you get caught using one illegally are extremely harsh.
Nobody has described a mobile booster which as you state are illegal to operate on the UK. The devices issues by the mobile operators are legal and are essentially mini cells but require you to register the specific handsets you are using to them. The Wi-Fi extenders simply allow the phone Wi-Fi to connect your smart phone to your broadband connection. If your handset supports Wi-Fi calling and the service is offered by your provider then you in theory should get a Skype like service although my experience is similar to those here in that it is a bit flaky. In the next few years 2G and 3G services are likely to be switched off in favour of 4 and 5G and we are told that better reception and coverage will follow. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MickCheese":1vq2p73q said:
I think there are two threads running here.

One about mobile phone signal boosters and one about wifi boosters.

I'm now officially confused.

Mick
Some Mobiles will make a call over WiFi, so a WiFi booster can be a mobile booster.

BugBear

treeturner123":2mqs7hhj said:
Hi

So am I and started the thread!!

What I meant was something like this
http://www.ukmobilebooster.com/Shop/UK- ... commendCTY
From that site:
Q? Are your kits legal?
A. Essentially, this boils down to the issue of licensing. Ofcom states that a licence is required to operate a product broadcasting in a mobile carriers radio spectrum. The reason for this is to avoid interference in the providers networks. However, as can be seen in Sec 1.2 in the link below, taken directly from the Ofcom website, our products are exempt from such licensing requirements, as they do not cause any such network interference.
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consul ... es/summary
Indeed, many of our customers are referred to us directly from the network providers themselves, reflecting our trusted position within this industry for providing both high service and product quality.
The red emphasis above is mine. I'd point out two things:

(1) The law is what it is, and the reason for the law is not relevant to breaking it or otherwise. It is disingenuous to suggest that these things don't interfere with mobile signals - they modify the environment for mobiles, and they rebroadcast on mobile (GSM) frequencies, and they certainly can cause interference. If Ofcom came after someone using one of these things, the owner/operator would be hard pressed to make an effective defence in court. As far as I know, there is no mechanism for an individual to get such a licence.

(2) Coverage varies dramatically by network provider. It's quite possible that other carriers in a given area have relatively good coverage in the area (although in this case I appreciate you're on the edge of downland where coverage is patchy). These things can cause what's known as "co-channel interference". In the digital domain, the presence of this signal, albeit weak, overlaying another network provider's signal, could mean no network access for anyone trying to use that service legitimately. And that would include calls to emergency services, etc.

I appreciate it is frustrating, but the only legal route is something actually given to you ("installed") by the network provider.

You do have plenty of options to put out a stronger WiFi signal, however, if that will help you. I'm moving over to Ubiquiti "UniFi" WiFi access points at home (slowly!), because they will allow me to build a mesh of several working together seamlessly and can be centrally managed - high performance, dead spots dealt with, etc. At work, about five years ago, I raised a quote for doing something similar for a large and fairly complex trade show stand. It was going to cost several thousand pounds (renting out the kit!). I could now do the same thing throughout our house (which is awkward), and covering garden and my workshop, probably for less than 1,000. Technology costs continue to piummet.

My experience is exactly the same as "inoffthered"

O2 messed about for weeks, strongly worded telephone conversations resulted in foc booster box which solved our problem. Reception in our house has always been low but achievable until the upgraded to 4g when signal all but disappeared but the box has restored to full signal.

Bob

I've installed two Vodafone supplied Sure signal boosters for neighbours who couldn't get them to connect.

"What do I need?
Are you ready to buy a Sure Signal? Before you get started you’ll need to make sure you have the following:

A Vodafone mobile or a voice-enabled tablet or dongle connected to our 3G network
Fixed-line home broadband with a minimum upload and download speed of 1Mbps"

- https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/accesso ... re-signal/

Latest posts

Back