Mobile base for bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkchapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I bolted two (non-swivelling) castors to the back of my SBW4300WL bandsaw's base, and two wooden blocks to the front to keep it level, so I can now move it around using a sack truck... HOWEVER

1. I'm a bit concerned about stability - it's a pretty top-heavy piece of kit, and while a setup like mine will be fine for the small stuff, I'm not sure how good it will be if I'm trying to cut up logs as heavy as I can lift into planks or bowl blanks...

2. The instructions that came with the bandsaw suggest it should be bolted to the floor - but even if I wanted to give up the mobility, how would I do so without compromising the integrity of the DPM that I propose to lay my chipboard floor on top of (eventually)

3. Before my stability concerns, I was intending to make a "jockey wheel" arrangement such as the one available with the record bandsaws... This effectively acts like a one-wheeled sack truck but is much more maneuverable. Has anyone built such a system and if so, what kind of wheel did you use, and how well did it work?

4. If I bolt it down, how much space do I need to plan to leave around it? I imagine the worst case is when resawing a long piece where I need the same length clear each side. Wall space that is high enough for the bandsaw to sit against is somewhat at a premium in my shop.

So how do all of you manage your larger bandsaws? Bolt them down or move them around?

Thanks

My table saw is on a similar arrangement and "lives" pushed back against a wall.
When I need the room for big saw jobs, I wheel it to the centre of the workshop, where I've sunk into the wood floor a couple of those wood insert thingys with a machine thread in the centre (£2 per 50 from screwfix) then I screw the table saw to these using a couple of angle brackets that are fitted near floor level on the saw base.
The machine screws have a o ring on them to captive them to the bracket so are always ready to go.

Roll saw into place, align over holes, screw down and go - takes all of 60 seconds

My bandsaw is not as heavy as yours. I have mine on a base with two fixed and two lockable, swivel casters and in five years, it's never looked liked tipping even when cutting long heavy timber. The base is slightly larger all round than the saw base cabinet and is very stable
I would suggest having it mobile rather than bolted to the floor, unless of course you have plenty of room in your workshop.
beejay

I'm using the Jet mobile base with the 4300 and it's never showed any signs of tipping. While it is a tall most of the weight is low down where the motor is so if your floor is flat and all 4 wheels are touching, I don't see you having any problems.

My bandsaw is a large Draper one with cast table and I have it ounted on a stand with swiveling castors, no problem at all with it, seems very stable and I have cut some long lengths on it. :wink:

Richard

Below is some pic's of my setup that makes the BS stable and movable. Its made up of angle iron and castors from Rutlands, very table whren the brakes are on.

The problem you will have shoul;d you secure it to the floor is working out the area you'll need around it and that you'll never get right unless its in the middle of a barn.

Hope this is useful.

Tony-Woodwork-001.jpg

Tony-Woodwork-002.jpg

Thanks everyone - sounds like mobile is the way to go. I'll see how unstable it seems once I get the floor properly levelled.

Chris

Metal Work Pete comes and helps himself to my offcuts, Martin and I also bought him a chop saw to make it easier. Apart from that its just neighbours helping out each other.

Now I'm retired Pete's started giving me welding lessons, but I a long way off doing a mobile stand.

What ho Richard,

I have my bandsaw (same as yours) on a mobile base which I purchased from Rutlands it was only £30.

A good tip is to make the base a bit bigger than the footprint of the bandsaw to provide a bit more stability.

I also suggest you fit a thick piece of MDF tight into the base and then bolt the bandsaw to the MDF. You can also screw the MDF to the mobile base through some spare holes in the frame.

I Found this approach better than just putting the bandsaw into the mobile base as it was not possible to get a good fit and was accordingly wobbly.

I also attached a piece of ply wood to the MDF at the rear of the bandsaw 90 degrees to the base to attach dust extraction pipe work and the excess electric cable.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Esc.

Latest posts

Back