MK2 Rail square Benchdogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone using the later rail square with the clasp, would you say it is an upgrade when compared to the previous cams ? Any other thoughts ?

1704493641240.png

Have the mk2 but cuts are off by around 2mm over the length of my 1m rail. Can't quite figure out why. The rail itself seems okay and the splinter guard was cut accurately as far as I can tell. I'm just not good at this stuff but I keep trying hoping to improve. Have messaged benchdogs to ask if the clasp is accurate when compared to the cams.

I looked at the upgrade offer £20 and then looked at my square and considered upgrading. I think the clasp will be better but decided the cams are okay for me. May be a bit slower

I am clearly behind the times, I have been using a couple of pencil marks and checking with a normal square on the back of the rail.
I keep thinking maybe I need one of these then I see the price.

Ollie

I have been using a couple of pencil marks and checking with a normal square on the back of the rail.
I used a similar method with a length of angle iron and an old Bosch circular saw, took a while to be convinced of the benefits but I think it was @JobandKnock who convinced me to go for one and it is certainly a much easier process but then to cut over a longer length, ie 8by4 lengthways you need another method to ensure squareness and here I went the parallel guide route and now breaking down full sheets on tressles is so easy.

Have messaged benchdogs to ask if the clasp is accurate when compared to the cams.
That will be interesting to hear there response, why they changed from the cams to the clasp on the latest rail square and are now offering it as a retrofit on the earlier Mk2 squares. I originally thought that the change was simply because now it is one square fits all rails but maybe there is more to it. I would have thought there is less likelihood of any damage to the rail using the clasp but then I have not done so to date with the cams. The other thing is the cams just lock the two parts together in the same plane whilst the clasp is pulling the top faces so more chance of misalignment but I bet Benchdogs had already thought of that and so not an issue.

Have the mk2 but cuts are off by around 2mm over the length of my 1m rail. Can't quite figure out why. The rail itself seems okay and the splinter guard was cut accurately as far as I can tell. I'm just not good at this stuff but I keep trying hoping to improve. Have messaged benchdogs to ask if the clasp is accurate when compared to the cams.
It always struck me that the reference edge on these squares must be what, 300mm max ?
If you are cutting any sheet with even a slightly furry, damaged or unsquare edge, then any error in pushing the square hard and flat against the edge of the sheet, and keeping it there, will be magnified 3, 4, 5 fold in the length of the rail.
Rail squares look to be a good innovation, but not one that will guarantee millimetre accuracy in a longer cut.
But what are you using to measure actual 90 degrees with to know that the rail square is out ?

It always struck me that the reference edge on these squares must be what, 300mm max ?
If you are cutting any sheet with even a slightly furry, damaged or unsquare edge, then any error in pushing the square hard and flat against the edge of the sheet, and keeping it there, will be magnified 3, 4, 5 fold in the length of the rail.
Rail squares look to be a good innovation, but not one that will guarantee millimetre accuracy in a longer cut.
But what are you using to measure actual 90 degrees with to know that the rail square is out ?
You can get an extension with the MK3. The also come with a certificate showing its accuracy

Like Paul said they come with a certificate showing the degree of accuracy for the square you've bought. Think it's most likely I'm the error. Still okay for breaking down sheets and then dialing in accuracy with my dewalt job site saw. Would be nice though to get it spot on with the track saw.

I looked at the upgrade offer £20 and then looked at my square and considered upgrading. I think the clasp will be better but decided the cams are okay for me. May be a bit slower
My Mk2 arrived with 3D-printed cams and a few spares; I upgraded to metal cams when offered, but they were "ok" at best. I'm seriously thinking about the clasp upgrade as well.

At this point, the 3d printed cams I would say were better than the metal cams as they had a little give in them and locked onto the rail better than the metal.

I have same issue with mk2, couple of mm‘s out. BD were responsive when I asked and they sent out new cam’s but still same issue, i then thought operator error, but maybe not.

Maybe time for clasp.

I used a similar method with a length of angle iron and an old Bosch circular saw, took a while to be convinced of the benefits but I think it was @JobandKnock who convinced me to go for one and it is certainly a much easier process but then to cut over a longer length, ie 8by4 lengthways you need another method to ensure squareness and here I went the parallel guide route and now breaking down full sheets on tressles is so easy.
Don`t get me wrong, I am a long time advocate of the track saw, I have just yet to spring for expensive squares.

I have just yet to spring for expensive squares.
I was there once, I knew they could only make things easier but do little in the accuracy department, but the accuracy is down to yourself. I used to have to make two precise marks to set the track to, to ensure square, with the rail square I only needed my dimension I wanted to cut to as the squareness was dealt with and then the repeat stop for the rail square came along and made things really easy for repeat cuts. The downside is that really you also need the parallel guides which just adds more expense but I do not think a rail square can be really precise over a long 2 metre plus cut as it only registers over a short section of the workpiece. Our problem is actually space, space solves all issues with cutting sheet goods because if you have the space then a sliding table saw is the ultimate tool for cutting sheet goods, fast and precise although a high initial outlay so all these squares and such we buy are really to solve our issues with space although some can say they need the portability.

I was there once, I knew they could only make things easier but do little in the accuracy department, but the accuracy is down to yourself. I used to have to make two precise marks to set the track to, to ensure square, with the rail square I only needed my dimension I wanted to cut to as the squareness was dealt with and then the repeat stop for the rail square came along and made things really easy for repeat cuts. The downside is that really you also need the parallel guides which just adds more expense but I do not think a rail square can be really precise over a long 2 metre plus cut as it only registers over a short section of the workpiece. Our problem is actually space, space solves all issues with cutting sheet goods because if you have the space then a sliding table saw is the ultimate tool for cutting sheet goods, fast and precise although a high initial outlay so all these squares and such we buy are really to solve our issues with space although some can say they need the portability.
I feel your pain when it comes to space. I also dream of space and Altendorfs or Martins. I need to put all my machines on wheels and shuffle them about !

I’ve got pretty much the full set from Benchdogs. I got the square first then realised I needed the parallel guide, then built an MFT so bought the fence, then bought the hinge. So my space problem is more where to store all the bench dogs kit.

Back