mixing concrete

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bulk bag of balast (that you are refering to as a ton bag) contains 0.6 m3 of the stuff. You need 4 bags of cement per bulk bag.

Mark

I have mixed concrete with a hired mixer in the past. First time I did it, I didn't know much about cement and sand etc. So I went to a builders' Merchant, told them what I was doing, and gave them the dimensions.

The guy behind the counter consulted a chart, and told me exactly what I needed and how much to order. I ordered it, and then went home to await delivery. Easy-peezy!

These days I have a pal who was in the 'Readimix' org. Apparently the subject of concrete fascinates him still, and he seems to have the answers if it's anything to do with concrete. Next time I see him.... :wink:

Regards

John :)

WellsWood":2spcdeg9 said:
Maybe I've missed something here (it wouldn't be the first time), but regardless of how much ballast is in a "1 ton" bag mixing a cubic metre of concrete seems like an awful lot of work, even with a mechanical mixer (God forbid you would be thinking of mixing by hand :shock:). Is there a particular reason you don't want to simply order in some ready-mix?

I'd 2nd that - having mixed up the odd M3 of concrete, I would heartily recommend not doing it by hand\mixer. I'd either use ReadyMix or one of the barrow outfits.

By the way - even a petrol\electric mixer will only mix about 70-80L, so that's a lot of mixes.

Although I suppose if you already have a mixer and a spare Sat or Sun - then what the hell - give it a go.

WellsWood":30buwn7s said:
Maybe I've missed something here (it wouldn't be the first time), but regardless of how much ballast is in a "1 ton" bag mixing a cubic metre of concrete seems like an awful lot of work, even with a mechanical mixer (God forbid you would be thinking of mixing by hand :shock:). Is there a particular reason you don't want to simply order in some ready-mix?

HI

no particular reasom why i was looking into quantaties, will probobly go the ready mix route anyway , i just like to weigh up all my options.

martin

Back