Cartlodge - SE for foundation design in Essex?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious if that is a normal size garage or are you restricted in size for some reason? I would have to fold the mirrors on my pickup to drive in and squeeze through a window to get out then I'd have to climb over the box to get across the garage as there wouldn't be enough room to walk around the ends of the vehicle. Might scrape the roof too depending how high the door is. I'll add that I bought the lowest truck available because of the door height in my garage. Way too cold in the winter to want top park outside.

Pete
yeah it's weird isn't it, its not my design or property, but we have planning for it based on that drawing and its what they want. I don't imagine it will ever see a car. It's a new build area and they all have the same design garages with approved planning.

yeah it's weird isn't it, its not my design or property, but we have planning for it based on that drawing and its what they want. I don't imagine it will ever see a car. It's a new build area and they all have the same design garages with approved planning.
If an oak frame supplier is supplying the frame, would they not have standard foundations?

Same design garage, same area, same planning office, same foundations.

The Local Authority building control will have copies of the plans for public consultation, you could probably, visit with an appointment and see them.

depends on the ground type....600 deep if it's soft and 400 for normal.....
going that deep use a preformed rebar cage...just wire it up with only a bit of cutting.....can be ordered to length.......beats pratting about with single length rebar's....but the footing really does need the cage as it make for a better job....many diff sizes and shapes available....
Unknown-13.jpeg
dont depend on a few legnths of single rebar chucked in the hole....
and just in case take plenty of photo's......

if ur ground is partic soft and dust like add glassfibre strands to the mix, the conc supplier/readymix will do it for u....and still use the rebar cage.....

I'm building a new workshop about 100m2.....
its foundation will be a 40cmx40cm ring with the floor being 150-200mm deep as the norm but where the car lift goes it'll get 300-350......
mine will get regular use of a 3.5 ton forklift trundeling over it plus the load.....plus welded rebar mesh in the floor....
U have nothing to worry about......
just to add,
Here we get earthquakes......my foundations will get 20mm rebar pins battered into the subsoil/rock for about 1m every 2m.....just so it wont slide down the hill.......lets hope the hill doesnt go as well....lol......

Same design garage, same area, same planning office, same foundations.
If I knew what they were; I didn't build the other ones and I don't have construction plans
all have the same design garages with approved planning.

@Molynoox:

Curious as to why this wasn't built in the first instance, if the others were, I'm not so sure that a completion sign off could have been done by the LA or developer! or was it an optional extra..

On the basis that they are already drawn up, submitted and approved plans, there will be a specification to go with them, if only outlining the materials that are to be used, (as part of that approval) it will need to match existing, I would have thought.

Could you not contact the original "Architect" to ask if they could/would supply further details, even if you have to pay them a small fee, going to be less expensive than going solo, and easier than reinventing this wheel.

I have done this in the past with favorable outcomes.

The Local Authority building control will have copies of the plans for public consultation, you could probably, visit with an appointment and see them.
I have never been able to the LA BC to give over design details, plans, never been a problem.

depends on the ground type....600 deep if it's soft and 400 for normal.....
going that deep use a preformed rebar cage...just wire it up with only a bit of cutting.....can be ordered to length.......beats pratting about with single length rebar's....but the footing really does need the cage as it make for a better job....many diff sizes and shapes available....
View attachment 168171dont depend on a few legnths of single rebar chucked in the hole....
and just in case take plenty of photo's......

if ur ground is partic soft and dust like add glassfibre strands to the mix, the conc supplier/readymix will do it for u....and still use the rebar cage.....

I'm building a new workshop about 100m2.....
its foundation will be a 40cmx40cm ring with the floor being 150-200mm deep as the norm but where the car lift goes it'll get 300-350......
mine will get regular use of a 3.5 ton forklift trundeling over it plus the load.....plus welded rebar mesh in the floor....
U have nothing to worry about......
just to add,
Here we get earthquakes......my foundations will get 20mm rebar pins battered into the subsoil/rock for about 1m every 2m.....just so it wont slide down the hill.......lets hope the hill doesnt go as well....lol......
Thanks clogs that's interesting and useful 👍

@Molynoox:

Curious as to why this wasn't built in the first instance, if the others were, I'm not so sure that a completion sign off could have been done by the LA or developer! or was it an optional extra..

On the basis that they are already drawn up, submitted and approved plans, there will be a specification to go with them, if only outlining the materials that are to be used, (as part of that approval) it will need to match existing, I would have thought.

Could you not contact the original "Architect" to ask if they could/would supply further details, even if you have to pay them a small fee, going to be less expensive than going solo, and easier than reinventing this wheel.

I have done this in the past with favorable outcomes.

I have never been able to the LA BC to give over design details, plans, never been a problem.
Thanks HOJ, it's all a bit weird, but from what I can gather the garages were all paid for by the home owners but somehow using the same plans. I'm not quite sure how is working but I think the estate agent and/or the estate developer is involved and is managing things to an extent. I'm not sure to be honest.

It's a good idea to contact the developer of the existing garages but it's a bit of an awkward situation..... i think he will be a bit offended to find out that I've been recommended to build this one and not him. This is getting complicated to explain but basically I built a garden room for a customer, and then my customer was asked by a neighbour "who built your garden room?" Turns out that the neighbour actually wanted a cartlodge (just like my customers one) and he recommended that she contact me (and not the developer that built his cartlodge)

I know that he has a good relationship with the guy that built his cartlodge so I'm a little surprised he recommended me and not him but either way it's a bit awkward for me to contact the developer as he is probably going to be a bit weirded out to find out what's happened.

Or I might be overthinking it.

Martin

Do you get many earthquakes in Billericay. 🤣

I would suggest a simple raft foundation with some anti crack steel is all that is needed.

Do you get many earthquakes in Billericay. 🤣

I would suggest a simple raft foundation with some anti crack steel is all that is needed.
Not many! 😃

I just found out that the neighbouring cartlodge was built on strip foundations.

I think I'm going to propose a 300mm raft with 600mm strip to building control and go from there.

Martin

That is a very heavy raft foundation for a cart lodge, 100mm slab on hardcore with top anti crack steel with a 300mm drop edge will do, unless the ground is particularly poor, built on land fill perhaps.

We do seem to be going around in circles though and discussing the same things over and over, I could have this designed and through planning by now. 🥴

Last edited:
That is a very heavy raft foundation for a cart lodge, 100mm slab on hardcore with top anti crack steel with a 300mm drop edge will do, unless the ground is particularly poor, built on land fill perhaps.

We do seem to be going around in circles though and discussing the same things over and over, I could have this designed and through planning by now. 🥴
how much type 1 would you use under a 100mm raft Mike? Is 150mm enough?

Does not have to be type 1, hardcore would do if it's well consolidated and sand blinded to prevent holes in the DPM, depth is subjective to ground conditions, but yes 150mm should be more than enough.

Does not have to be type 1, hardcore would do if it's well consolidated and sand blinded to prevent holes in the DPM, depth is subjective to ground conditions, but yes 150mm should be more than enough.
thanks Mike :) (y)

A cautionary tale, make sure when digging out for a raft the ground worker/digger driver understands the arrangement:

office.jpg

Gave the GW's a plan, section and details for the raft and left them to it, went back 2 weeks later to catch up and they had dug the whole site out a meter deep, we then had to spend a couple of weeks using salvaged scaffold boards shuttering it all up and back filling to get back close to square 1, and it still took 7 * 8 yard concrete lorries to pour the raft, over engineered to say the least.

A cautionary tale, make sure when digging out for a raft the ground worker/digger driver understands the arrangement:

View attachment 168343

Gave the GW's a plan, section and details for the raft and left them to it, went back 2 weeks later to catch up and they had dug the whole site out a meter deep, we then had to spend a couple of weeks using salvaged scaffold boards shuttering it all up and back filling to get back close to square 1, and it still took 7 * 8 yard concrete lorries to pour the raft, over engineered to say the least.
Wow! 😅 Sounds expensive.
We will do the GW ourselves so no danger of that scenario!

Martin

Back