Mini Ratchets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a little rolson that cost just a couple of quid, works great and very handy to have in the tool kit.

I have an unbranded one, similar to the Axi offering

340355_xl.jpg

https://www.axminster.co.uk/confined-sp ... ver-340355

which is £6.50 from them with some bits or probably less on your local market stall. For a cheapie, it's surprisingly robust - certainly strong enough to use as a confined space screwdriver. Possibly cheaper than others by not having the word COOL printed on it? :wink:

This is the one I have although it did not cost that much, bought it from Trago for about £3 or £4 I think, certainly less than a fiver otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.
I chose it because while very compact it still has a sturdy direction switch, fairly fine gearing (36 teeth) and a comfortable handle. The knurled ring makes it fast to use at lower torque.
I had used similar sizes tools with switches that didn't work well and sharp sheet metal handles, usually coarse gearing too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-28910-O ... FSBKMCB94M

I usually tend to agree with Mike G's mantra ("you have enough tools"), but I definitely make an exception for the mini ratchet. Like Rorschach I have a little Rolson ratchet set that's served me well (>>this one<<). I also have an unbranded one that lives in my work toolbag; solely for removing and replacing motor brush screws in confined spaces.

If I had to buy again, I like the look of Andy's ratchet. The internal socket looks like a great space-saver.

FWIW the pic in my link is misleading, the ratchet is slimmer than it looks and the hex is internal.

Attachments

• IMG_20181128_152852.jpg
    IMG_20181128_152852.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 610
I have an unbranded one that I make occasional use of. If I were buying one now I would go for this Wera set which looks like very good value if it really does retail for 60 quid elsewhere.

Rhyolith":ditphotm said:
I was thinking they might be good for small mechanical bits etc. But they seem expesnive on the whole seem, so has anyone had any expierence with them? Are they actaully useful or just a gimic Any particularly good designs out there?
Many of my friends are mechanics of some sort. ALL of them, without a doubt, will buy at least one of any Stubby version of a tool the instant they see it... assuming they haven't already bought some! Exceptionally useful in many circumstances.
If you'e a frequent user, you might want to look at a quality brand with good warranties, like Halfords, Bahco, etc. If not, just find one that fits your hand and feels solid enough for your needs.

DTR":3dd1cy1e said:
I usually tend to agree with Mike G's mantra ("you have enough tools"), but I definitely make an exception for the mini ratchet. Like Rorschach I have a little Rolson ratchet set that's served me well (>>this one<<). I also have an unbranded one that lives in my work toolbag; solely for removing and replacing motor brush screws in confined spaces.

If I had to buy again, I like the look of Andy's ratchet. The internal socket looks like a great space-saver.
before moving house this year I ruthlessly pruned both my woodwork and DIY tools, giving a large number away (including some duplicates, admittedly :shock: ). Now it turns out I have plenty of space left for gadgets like this!

I have just ordered a cheapo one (would have been very handy while removing the radiator from my daftly designed vespa last weekend). thanks for the tip Rhyolith!

I have a basic little ratchet. It's a great stand in for an offset and has got me out of trouble on several occasions. Well worth having - just make sure it has a 'spot' in your toolbox and you can find it when needed!!

Back