Microwave drying:

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
he he....thought I'd give it a go.....a bit of 3" dia x 8" long bit of something branch....

Started off quite well - 6 cycles of 4 minutes at full power then 5 minutes rest, weighing each time - losing about 5 - 10% weight each time.

They say that if the wood gets too dry, then it cooks from the inside and bursts into flames.......and they're right !! - just managed to get to it before the flames stage - but it sat out in the garden smoking happily for a good 20 minutes!

Anybody else tried this and had success without the BBQ effect ?

Chris

But of course - and a couple of hours later, it's burnt a hole straight through the centre and is still smouldering......don't try this at home kids!

Im guessing the missus has gone out for the day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh dear, just wait until SWMBO gets home. I can see divorce in the pipe. Better make her something for the home quick. :lol:

I have had limited success with holly in a micro wave used short sessions across a week but didn't get "flaming logs"

Didn't do anything scientific like weighing it just a zap and go type operation.

For the very thin hollow forms I turn, if I am in a hurry, I use the microwave to dry them. Because the pieces I turn are on the large side I use an industrial microwave for the process, but I'm told the power cycles and settings are similar to a normal domestic one.

Whoever suggested putting timber in the microwave for four minutes should seriously check out microwave drying by looking on Google, there are lots of varying methods listed. This length of time will cause serious damage to the timber and possibly the microwave.

My pieces go in the microwave on full power for roughly 30 to 40 seconds and then cool outside the microwave for at least an hour. This cycle goes on throughout the day until no further weight is lost. I use a cheap set of digital scales I bought from Argos for weighing the pieces. Whatever power setting you use makes little difference, simply adjust the time settings. As microwaves only have one power output they cycle on and off in the various settings anyway.

The method I have most success with is drying the pieces in a paper bag over a period of ten to twelve days, this is obviously much slower but as commissions can take up to two months, it's not a problem. I replace the bags far more frequently in the early days as more moisture is lost. These are the large multi thickness bags that some shop now offer to bring groceries home in.

Hope this helps.

Mike Swain RPT

Don't take it too hard, did the same thing myself. House still stinks of burning wood. :oops:

Latest posts

Back