Microsoft Outlook problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katellwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help, I'm using Microsoft office outlook 2003 for my e-mail, e-mails are downloading correctly however when I attempt to open any links in e-mails I get the following screen and do not know how to fix it

If I view the e-mail via the talktalk (aol) website links open with no problem

Virus protection is Norton 360

I cannot find a way of fixing the problem can anyone help (ive tried restoring to a previous point)

any assistance will be greatly appreciated

Capture.jpg

Yeah, uninstall Norton 360 - nothing but trouble. Use MS Security essentials instead.

Si.

Looks like your administrator has prevented you opening links on emails.
If it's a work computer, then it's a reasonably sensible if slightly paranoid policy and you're unlikely to get it changed.
If it's your own laptop then you can change it in the options somewhere.
I don't have access to a pc at the moment so can't remember exactly where or what...

Hi Guys and Gals

I have been browsing this forum for a little while now and I thought that it was time to register and say hello.

With regard to the Outlook problem, although I am not a computer expert, I think that it is possibly caused not by Outlook itself but by your internet settings. It usually happens when the registry key becomes corrupt or there is a bit of information missing. As a first stop try to reset your internet explorer to its default settings.

To Reset Web settings in Windows XP:

1.Open Internet Explorer.
2.On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3.Click the Programs tab, and then click the Reset button.
4.Under Internet programs, verify that the correct e-mail program is selected.
5.Click to select the Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser check box.
6.Click Apply, and then click OK.
If you receive a message when Internet Explorer starts telling you that IE is not currently your default browser, click Yes to make it your default.

If you are using Vista:

1.Open Internet Explorer.
2.On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3.Click the Advanced tab, and then click the Reset button.
4.On the Programs tab, under Internet programs, click Set Programs, then "Set your Default Programs", select your e-mail program and click "Set this program as Default". Repeat for Internet Explorer.
5.Click OK and close the dialogs.
Note: You need to set Internet Explorer as default and verify the problem is fixed. If you prefer a different browser, you can set it as default later.

I hope that this helps.

kind regards

Logos

I still say it's Norton that's screwing with you. At least try disabling it to see if it helps.

If it was a work machine, I would have said it could be locked down by group policy, but that won't apply to a home machine.

Si.

Hi Chris

Unfortunately I am not very familiar with Windows 7. However the basic operation should be more or less the same. A lot of people have experienced this problem as a result of installing Google Chrome (which of course changes the settings). As a result hyperlinks in Outlook (and often other applications such as Word & Excel) did not work. The usual solution is to uninstall Google Chrome and then set Internet Explorer as the default setting. The strange thing is that even after reinstalling Google Chrome (but keeping Internet Explorer as the default) everything seemed to work. Apparently there is a degree of incompatibility between the programs which causes the problem. Nevertheless this is not the sole cause of the problem but it seems to be the main contributor. I suppose you will have to try it to see if it works.

Kind regards

Logos

Logos

Thanks for the help, tried everything however nothing seems to work, Will try reinstalling office in the new year to see if this cures the problem. At the moment I am viewing my e-mails via the web prior to download where the links work

I did find this in the virus software which might explain the problem however do not know how to fix

Capture-1.jpg

Any suggestions still greatly received

In my 13+ years working professionally with computers, if a computer has an issue and Norton is installed, there hasn't been one time when uninstalling norton hasn't fixed the issue. It was useless since the day it was realised and BT ISP users running norton was blocked from using the net.

Get norton off, ALL OF NORTON. Install AVG Free or Kasperky (not free but awarded as the best). If you plan to use AVG free and your not running vista or win 7 make sure your running XP SP3.

Jonzjob":1mmpwu1o said:
There is another alternative?

A Mac?

What do you think will happen if macs get more and more popular?

Cyber attackers will start diverting there attention to infecting the mac os as well as windows or they will see a drop in there profits. There are already virus protection software available for Mac's. What you forget is some websites don't require there spyware to even run on your OS and can be very easily adapted to first detect the OS your using and then run from there server the correct path they need to get the info they would like to steal. This is becoming more a vulnerability of the mac user as more browsers are available on both Windows & Mac.

Latest posts

Back