MFT top, ply or MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Moore

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am going to make an MFT top work bench that will come off it’s legs to stack for space.
What’s the views on ply for a slightly lighter cans hard wearing top, or the accuracy and flatness of MDF albeit heavier ( I will be buying one from The guy based in wantage)
Thanks
Gordon

18mm moisture resistant (the green stuff) MDF all the way for me. Ply will tear out around dog holes and any kerf lines - unless you're spending good money on good ply.

MDF will slag ever so slightly over time as Spectric points out so you can flip it over every month, or if you're like me and CBA / forget, some kind of stiff supports underneath are a good idea if you value flatness.

Thanks for feedback. I was looking to build a torsion box aka 10 minute workshop, and then some sort of beam to clamp into my work mate. So MR MDF it is
Thanks
Gordon

If flatness is important I would suggest blockboard. Any ply or MDF left on it's edge will warp imo.

Just had a troll on the interweb and found out what block board is.
Is this a material that is used for MFT tops?
Not that I know of but I can't see why not. It's a sheet material made from solid strips of pine laminated together and then skinned with two sheets of veneer. It's the 'stiffest' of all the sheet materials . However if you make a torsion box it will be equally stiff. As an aside I make lots of shelves out of cheap flush doors which are essentially torsion boxes as well. You just have to reinforce the cut edges by glueing in a softwood batten between the outer leaves.

I have 2 that are 18months old. Had lots of abuse and still in great condition.

18mm standard mdf sanded and coated in what ever oil you have, hard wax works well.

Remember to router a chamfer in every hole,
It hurts like twittery if you get your finger caught in one when sliding things across!

Hi All,
I am going to make an MFT top work bench that will come off it’s legs to stack for space.
What’s the views on ply for a slightly lighter cans hard wearing top, or the accuracy and flatness of MDF albeit heavier ( I will be buying one from The guy based in wantage)
Thanks
Gordon
Why not ask the guy based in Wantage, I understand he's a very nice and helpful chap.

My experience of MDF is that it smells like MDF whereas plywood smells like wood. The surface of MDF is like cardboard or compressed paper whereas the surface of plywood is like wood. MDF is not stiff, plywood is stiffer (more like wood). When you cut plywood, you get saw dust; when you cut MDF, you get … dust.

I have an MDF MFT top and a plywood one. I wouldn’t get another MDF one.

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice. Yes Chris from Wantage is a very nice guy. Now have to design and build a surround / support and a way to mount it on my Workmate

Back