MFT and torsion boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myself and probably the others involved in the argument in the other thread just gave up and let you have your little say. .....
You didn't have to. You could have explained why you want to call these things "torsion" boxes. :unsure:
It doesn't matter at all except the impression given is that there is some esoteric design feature involved - there isn't - they are just varieties of box construction, but non the worse for that.

Last edited:
You didn't have to. You could have explained why you want to call these things "torsion" boxes. :unsure:
It doesn't matter at all except the impression given is that there is some esoteric design feature involved - there isn't - they are just varieties of box construction, but non the worse for that.
Yes, we did and it was explained although most people already understand what one is. But what's the point? You in your flerfer-esque manner will continue to refuse to consider any other viewpoint and continue to promote your own viewpoint. You could have left this thread alone but you couldn't , you had to pop up again with a typical trolling post. I do wonder if it is some sort of obsessive, compulsive behaviour.
Anyway, I'm ignoring you from now on.

Some similarities but I think it's a bit different.
A box has just 4 sides, top and bottom.
Torsion box has all the ribs inside the 'box' bit so it's worth having a different name for it as it's a different thing. Isn't it?
It's a bit like a bike and car being different but also similar, we don't claim to have reinvented the wheel with the car (we have in fact just added two more wheels) but it's worth having a different name for it just so we can quickly explain what it is we are talking about.
Or did I miss the point?😃 I didn't see the other thread so may well be missing some info.

Martin

Some similarities but I think it's a bit different.
A box has just 4 sides, top and bottom.
Some do, some don't. Can be many shapes.
Torsion box has all the ribs inside the 'box' bit
Some do some don't.
According to the experts one common feature of a "torsion box" is that is has continuous sides taking the stresses. The contents of the box will vary according to the design. It's not a precisely defined thing it's just a generalised concept. The key thing is that is is designed to resist torsion, which is not something you get with bench tops, doors, shelves, except as a tiny component of normal stresses.
so it's worth having a different name for it as it's a different thing. Isn't it?
Not really. "Box" construction covers it. "Torsion box" if it's designed for torsion specifically. Most of them are not.
https://aerospaceengineeringblog.com/the-mystery-of-wing-twisting/

Last edited:
Yes, we did and it was explained although most people already understand what one is. But what's the point? You in your flerfer-esque manner will continue to refuse to consider any other viewpoint and continue to promote your own viewpoint. You could have left this thread alone but you couldn't , you had to pop up again with a typical trolling post. I do wonder if it is some sort of obsessive, compulsive behaviour.
Anyway, I'm ignoring you from now on.
I am an 82yr old time served joiner reading this at work and i have never heard of a "Torsion box" and presumably there must be many more like me?

I am an 82yr old time served joiner reading this at work and i have never heard of a "Torsion box" and presumably there must be many more like me?
It's a new idea which has been sweeping through the world of amateur woodwork.
I just googled and brought up this
What Is A Torsion Box? | Obsessed Woodworking
and this
Paulk Workbench Review
The Paulk bench has spaces and openings for storing tools. It's only a matter of time before someone invents little pull-out torsion boxes to go into the holes, to hold bits and bobs.
It seems that they are working through their ideas and slowly developing something which increasingly resembles an ordinary familiar work table/bench with drawers!
Reinventing the work table!
Oh well it's all harmless fun.

PS This is not joinery as we know it but he's got there with the drawer idea about 2.50 in. Well done!

Maybe time to reinvent the wheel? Has anybody taken a close look at them lately? :unsure:

Last edited:
I get the idea, just dont understand why "Torsion box" cant see what torsion has to do with it. Just another version of the honeycomb construction method that has been around for a very long time.

I get the idea, just dont understand why "Torsion box" cant see what torsion has to do with it. Just another version of the honeycomb construction method that has been around for a very long time.
Basically if you take "torsion" out of the conversation it makes more sense i.e. just talking about "box" constructions and the many varieties thereof: from empty boxes to sandwich, stressed skin, etc etc.
"Torsion" is misleading, unless you really are talking about designing to resist or transmit torque, as with a prop shaft for instance - which can be a hollow tube, or solid, etc etc. Or with JEGordon's biplane wing structure of struts and braces countering twist. https://akawut.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/530314_structures_or_why_things_2-2560.pdf

Last edited:
Agree, I'm with Adam a fancy name to make it sound new and exciting and innovative etc etc.
I'm just eating a slice of torsion toast. Hard crusty skin with a softer honeycomb construction within.
Later I'm going to blow up a torsion sphere - a rubber balloon - effectively a stressed skin structure containing nothing but air

Last edited:
Amazing how one word can make something simple into the latest craze. It is nothing more than a way of introducing structural integrity into an otherwise flexable structure and can be something small all the way up to the worlds largest container ships.

I'm just eating a slice of torsion toast. Hard crusty skin with a softer honeycomb construction within.
Later I'm going to blow up a torsion sphere - a rubber balloon - effectively a stressed skin structure containing nothing but air
Not waffle toast then, maybee that's so last century.

So many words, so little understanding.

The term has been used for about 100-years, which is about how long they’ve been made for, have a look at the patents of some bloke called Willy Messerschmitt. But I’m sure nobody’s heard of him so he can’t be real either.

So many words, so little understanding.

The term has been used for about 100-years,
But not a common term and no clear definition except that it applied to things involving torsion; not shelves, work tops, doors etc.
It got picked up by the WW fraternity fairly recently, probably an article from magazine hack who had read Gordon's book . Actually I could put a name to it but I won't!
which is about how long they’ve been made for, have a look at the patents of some bloke called Willy Messerschmitt. But I’m sure nobody’s heard of him so he can’t be real either.
JEGordon and Fokker are yer men The Mystery of Wing Twisting
Interesting comments on the term in the article.
Shelves are very different, unless you are hoping to fly with them. Avoid steep fast dives!

Last edited:
Back