Metabo sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimNoble

Established Member
Reaction score
I read through the previous threads on Random Orbit sanders, and ended up buying the Metabo SXE450 from DM-tools (first time I've used them - fairly impressed by the service).

First impressions are pretty good. There's a fair bit more vibration than I was expecting though, having read other people's comments.

Dust collection is far better than any sander I've used before (el-cheapo ones...), which just means the supplied paper bag fills up fairly quickly (and they only supply one...)

Anyone know if there's an adapter for the dust collection port available? Or has anyone figured out a way of connecting a vacuum/dust extractor to it easily?

Jim

Jim
Are you putting much pressure on the sander when you it?? There shouldn't be much vibration.
Cheers
Philly :D

I'll confess to being a lazy so and so - was sanding a free standing shelf unit for the airing cupboard with it upright, so wasn't always able to apply much pressure for fear of it toppling over :)

Can't say I noticed much difference with variation in pressure though :(

Jim

Hi Jim

Forgive me if this smells of grannies and eggs, but I suspect that you've got it on the 6mm setting instead of the 3mm.

Cheers
Neil

Had it on both settings.

Is it supposed to vibrate a lot on the 6mm setting then?

Now, this egg sucking thing; run it by me one more time :)

Jim

Hi Jim

On the 6mm setting there is much more movement than on the 3mm.

I was using mine yesterday and I was only using very light pressure. There was no discernable vibration.

Are you getting a good finish?

Cheers
Neil

Check the bolt holding the pad on is not working loose - I wouldn't use any pressure at all just the weight of the sander.

John

The small hose from my Record DX3000 fits straight into the sander outlet.

Jason

Anyone know if there's an adapter for the dust collection port available? Or has anyone figured out a way of connecting a vacuum/dust extractor to it easily?

Find an oddment of pvc waste pipe to jam into the extractor port to reduce the diameter and then stepped adapter from APTC fits the Metabo quite well - Rob

Hi Jim

JimNoble":1c9k04xt said:
Or has anyone figured out a way of connecting a vacuum/dust extractor to it easily?

I missed this first time around. The Trend extractor fits straight in without any problems.

Cheers
Neil

Gaffa tape !I use it on my 100mm extractor hose to reduce it down on all my machines then just run a knife round the tape and peel it off .

I bought this sander from Rutlands over a year ago (2 free Bessey clamps included as well!!) and I've never looked back on the descision to buy it for even a split-second. I never got a 'Metabox' though. Still, a spare ten-minutes and some plywood could save the supplied cardboard one...

On the issue of dust bags however, if you go back to D&M's site you'll see they sell a replacement dust bag made of CANVAS material. Not disposable, you just have to empty it - and trust me, speaking for recent experience, it's a lot easier than the horrid paper bag! :D

And here it is:

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php?section=&sn=MET631758 :wink:

Newbie_Neil":1yl9h9i5 said:
Hi Jim
On the 6mm setting there is much more movement than on the 3mm.
I was using mine yesterday and I was only using very light pressure. There was no discernable vibration.
Are you getting a good finish?

Yeah, pretty happy with the finish even from the included P120 discs - finished it off with some P320 and a sanding block as it needed very little work to get a nice silky smooth surface.

Have now got a stash of discs down to P400...

Jim

woodbloke":2k5io2js said:
Find an oddment of pvc waste pipe to jam into the extractor port to reduce the diameter and then stepped adapter from APTC fits the Metabo quite well - Rob

I tried a bit of pvc pipe, but it was too small to fit over the dust port. Annoyingly the pipe on my garage vac is the same size!

I emailed metabo, and got a reply telling me that there is a proper adapter - part number 630898000 (or just 30898?). None of the online suppliers are acknowledging its existence though...

Jim

I am not sure of the fitting in the metabo but I got an adapter in a set for cleaning computers and small areas, all of a £1.
One adapter in it was for the hover and fits in my tools, have a look in the pound shop in your area but if you cant find one pm me and I will try to get one from here and send it to you.
If that helps :)

Back