Metabo/Elektra Beckum KGS305 12" Compound Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
I already have an Elektra Beckum KGS300 compound mitre saw (the old green one), but I now want a 12" double bevel model, such as the KGS305.
One of the reasons is my old EB doesn't have a brake, and this has cheesed me off since day one, and you can often find me stopping the blade with the back of my hand, which we all know is bl--dy stupid.

Another thing I want to be able to do is trenching, and it must have an induction motor.
A stand included in the price would be a bonus,

Has anyone got the above Metabo, or can anyone come up with a better option for around £400 or £500?

Any advice would great.

Cheers

Mike

yep buy the brake for the KGS300.

I have helped about a dozen people on this forum to get one.

the kgs300 is the best you can get, and with the brake the best in the world

it is a dodle to fit ABout 10 min and is a whole lot cheaper then buying another one

just do a search here and it will show you how much it will cost ( I bought the brake direct from EB in germany (forgot how much it was - that's why do the search :wink: )

McLuma

Mike.C":1szkhw0a said:
Another thing I want to be able to do is trenching, and it must have an induction motor.
A stand included in the price would be a bonus,

I've been looking for some time for such a machine to replace my RAS but haven't found one. Induction motor and trenching facility seems to be a rare combination so let me know if/when you find it.
The Metabo people told me that the KGS301 would be replaced soon and the new model would have trenching facility but it hasn't appeared yet.
beejay

http://community.webshot.com/user/eunos9

Beejay

I've been looking for some time for such a machine to replace my RAS but haven't found one. Induction motor and trenching facility seems to be a rare combination so let me know if/when you find it.
The Metabo people told me that the KGS301 would be replaced soon and the new model would have trenching facility but it hasn't appeared yet.
beejay

You knocked me for six there mate. I had no idea and just took it for granted that a SCMS in the price range of the KGS305 (£500+) had a induction motor. After all my KGS300 and it's upgraded model the KGS301 which are cheaper than the the 305 have one.
So it is back to the drawing board because I personally would not buy a mitre saw that did not have a induction motor, because they are far to loud.

While on the Metabo website I noticed that some of the mitre saws have something called a 'Tension Function', has anyone heard of this?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a SCMS that has a Induction motor, Integrated depth control, a Brake and Double Bevel?

Cheers

Mike

Mike

the electric brake from EB will set you back about 110 euros

I still think that that is by far the best solution

Mcluma, sorry I never replied to your original post, but I have been trying to search for details of this brake, but so far I have had no luck.

As you say the KGS300 is a excellent saw, but I thought that it was about time that I upgraded to the KGS305 because it's depth of cut (120mm or nearly 5 inches) is massive, and I like the idea of trenching cuts, and a double bevel saw.
But I never for one moment realised that not all the high end SCMS have an induction motor, even Metabo's/Elektra Beckums flag ship model, and it is for this very reason that I am having to do a rethink.

Maybe I am being a induction motor snob, but none of the machinery in my workshop has a universal/brush motor, because I have always been led to believe that the induction motor is far better than the universal one.

Anyway can you let me have the details of where you got your brake from?

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Neil, I can't F-ing believe it. My old man knew that I am thinking about getting a new SCMS, but he never told me that he had spoke to Mcluma about getting a brake for my present one. I just phoned the dip stick at work, and his excuse was "That I was in the USA, and he is getting old and the grey cells are not what they used to be" I know that it was a year, but come on.

Well he is never going to live this one down.

Thanks again Neil.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":12aqfwzl said:
Come on guy's, surely someone has got a favorite? Pretty please. [-o<

CheersMike

When I couldn't find a combination of induction/trenching, I eventually shortlisted the DeWalt 718 as the most likely alternative. If I'm not mistaken, it has quite a short travel, back to front, which for me would mean less machine sticking out from the workshop wall. I only have a single width garage and the RAS can get in the way at times
I haven't bought it yet but may do if Metabo dont update the 301
beejay

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

beejay,

When I couldn't find a combination of induction/trenching, I eventually shortlisted the DeWalt 718 as the most likely alternative. If I'm not mistaken, it has quite a short travel, back to front, which for me would mean less machine sticking out from the workshop wall. I only have a single width garage and the RAS can get in the way at times
I haven't bought it yet but may do if Metabo dont update the 301
beejay

Thanks Beejay

I had a look at a 718 today and I have to say that it is a nice bit of kit. The only fault that I can find with it is the noise, it is a lot louder then my EB and that is one of the reasons why I want one with a induction motor. The only trouble is except for the Elektra Beckum KGS300 and 301, I cannot find any other saw with this type of motor, not even EB themselves do another one. DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW OF ONE?

As with you Beejay the top of my list at the moment is the 718, mind you I have not tried any others, and as it seems no other member can give me advice/thoughts etc, even on their own SCMS I don't have much to go on. :shock: :roll: :wink:

Oh well, thanks again Beejay. I think that I will give Metabo a ring to see when they are going to introduce their new saw.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":16oc9ybz said:
...as it seems no other member can give me advice/thoughts etc, even on their own SCMS I don't have much to go on. :shock: :roll: :wink:
Not much point if IT DOES NOT HAVE AN INDUCTION MOTOR. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I've always thought that the EB mitre saws were unique in having an induction motor, but I don't know whether that's actually the case.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the type of motor unless you have already tried out all the other 12" SCMS contenders. I say that because Dad has a Fox SCMS which although brush-motor and belt-driven, it is quiet - unlike my Delta banshee!.

PS I believe most of the noise emanates from the gears of gear-driven saws. Belt drives are much quieter. A combination of a good quality brush motor and belt drive (for my ears anyway) is acceptably quiet.

Ike

Jake,

I've always thought that the EB mitre saws were unique in having an induction motor, but I don't know whether that's actually the case.

Ike,

wouldn't get too hung up on the type of motor unless you have already tried out all the other 12" SCMS contenders. I say that because Dad has a Fox SCMS which although brush-motor and belt-driven, it is quiet - unlike my Delta banshee!.

PS I believe most of the noise emanates from the gears of gear-driven saws. Belt drives are much quieter. A combination of a good quality brush motor and belt drive (for my ears anyway) is acceptably quiet.

Thats it then, the idea of buying another one with an induction motor is out of the window, and a brush/universal motor with ear plugs (which I should be wearing anyway) is in.

With this in mind can anyone recommend a good quality universal motor SCMS:

that can do trenching (depth control)

has a 12 inch blade (but will maybe look at a 10 inch)

has got a brake

has got a laser, even if it is a optional extra

has got a double bevel (but again, I may look at a non double if the saw is excellent in other ways)

Alf,

Not much point if IT DOES NOT HAVE AN INDUCTION MOTOR.

Yes Alf you are quite right, my fault.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

The Fox was essentially a rebadged Makita (from the same factory I was informed), until Makita then stomped on them couple years back over commerciasl infringement. So Makita I know are bloody good but I don't know what the depth stop is like on the 1214 or the 1013.

cheers,

Ike

Mike.C":5g81jqrm said:
With this in mind can anyone recommend a good quality universal motor SCMS:

that can do trenching (depth control)

has a 12 inch blade (but will maybe look at a 10 inch)

has got a brake

has got a laser, even if it is a optional extra

has got a double bevel (but again, I may look at a non double if the saw is excellent in other ways)

I have the 10" version of this http://www.axminster.co.uk//images/products/336727_xl.jpg but the 12 is otherwise identical. I think it is awesome, as used by Alf and a few others as well. However it is a bit big as it has a large capacity. It also has no laser as std but there is a laser kit in the US which I am hoping will become available here.

Is the bosch noisy? I also believe in induction motor, as someone here mentioned, I cannot get my neighbours to use ear plugs. I read that sheppach have a SCMS with an induction motor. The worry is of cause about the recent quality issues with sheppach. A local cabinet maker told me he used to have a Dutch mitre saw that comes with an induction motor but since he does not speak english, he could not give me the brand.

Hi

The Bosch is not silent and is a brush motor but the noise is not too bad. The majority of the noise is from the sound of the wood cutting. I have an induction motor on my table saw and would class the Bosch as making a similar level of noise whilst cutting simply because of the noise of the blade in the wood. Running without cutting the induction motor is much quieter but we use the machines to cut wood don't we :D

Also an SCMS is not used continuously like a Planer, Bandsaw or TS is by comparison.

HTH

Back