Meet the Flockers!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I have spent most of the day flocking the drawers on the cutlery canteen. I have come to a stop as I ran out of the flock. :cry:
Here is the box I made up to apply the flock:
zeflockingcabinettq8.jpg

I followed the instructions and put plenty on which seems to have done the trick:
zgflockfinishhd5.jpg

First drawer finished and it is looking the part:
zifirstoneflockedqq7.jpg

I then turned my attention to the top tray and gave this the same treatment:
zhtoptraycompletetn8.jpg

I managed to finish three drawers and the top tray before I ran out of the flock:
zjthreecompletefu6.jpg

Next up was to draw and rout the logo which will sit in the lid. I coated this with some of the adhesive that was left to seal the surface for the application of the flock:
zklogorouteduz5.jpg

I have ordered some more of the flock and adhesive so must now wait until it arrives to continue. Mind you it states that the flock must be allowed to cure for one week before use so no hurry. :D

Lovely job Mailee really coming along nicely, one question I've never seen flocking applied before is it sprayed on with a special gun?

That looks great, Mailee, but you have lost me, what is flock and how is it applied, I thought I was looking at felt, but obviously not, what does Sant Andrea mean? sorry for so many questions, btw I made one of your housing jigs today.
regards,
Rich.

Well now guys, I too hardn't heard of it until now. I had intended to go along the sheet felt route but Jason on the other forum suggested I use this. http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/acatal ... e_Tex.html
It consists of a bag of very fine fibres that are sprayed on to a coloured adhesive. The adhesive is first brushed on to everything that you want to look like felt. This part must be done quickly as it has an open time of around 15 mins. Once everything is covered you then use a pump (similar to the pump used to inflate baloons) filled with the fibres and shower the article with them. More is better as any excess fibres will not stick and can be used again. (It does go a long way)
Well Rich Sant Andrea is the name of the cutlery and I thought I would route a nice logo in the lid which will also be covered in the flock once it is complete. I thought this would be a nice little touch to the finish of the canteen. By the way I hope you like the housing jig as much as I do, it is one of the most used jigs in my shop and I wouldn't be without it now. :wink:

That's looking really good now mailee - The flock makes a big difference.

Edit : That sounds bad.. It looked good before the flock.. but now it looks really good

Like the boxes/canteen, haven't tried any flocking for a while.

However it was a great pastime in years gone bye, grass versions were the best.

from model railway shops. :)

Well today i got a call from Turners Retreat informing me they were out of stock of my order! It was the flock I had been waiting for to finish the canteen!!! After a short discussion with them they told me that it was the adhesive they were out of in that colour but they had enough of the fibre thank goodness! It would have taken them about three weeks to get some more too!! :shock: I am trying to finish it for the end of the month as the wedding is early April. Anyway it shold be with me Saturday morning all being well. In the meantime I have finished everything else and done a few trial fits of the cutlery to make sure everything fits well and it is not too heavy fully loaded. I will let the photos speak for themselves:
zmdryfitspoonsyz4.jpg

zldryfitwi9.jpg

zptrialfitbl9.jpg

You will notice the lid is waiting for the flock as is the bottom drawer. fingers crossed for Saturday. :roll:

Mailee you are an inspiration, whoever recieves that canteen will have something unique, I can't wait to see the final posting,
Rich.

I can't say I find this beautiful, it far beyond that. Nice job, looking forward to see the logo flocked!

Well the flock fibre finally arrived today and I have just finished the lid and bottom drawer. I will have to leave it for a few hours before I can shake off the excess fibre but it is looking good:
gonefinishedit9.jpg

hbothsetasidekq4.jpg

I shall return to the shop later tonight and shake off the excess to see how it looks. Will let you know. :D

Been down to the workshop and shaken off the excess to see what it turned out like.
jexcessshakenoffyg1.jpg

llogofinishedeb8.jpg

Must say I am pleased with the results. Logo came up better than I expected I am glad to say. Will give it a clean up and replace the lid tomorrow. :D

Back