Masonry screws - skirting board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I'm in the minority then, it works well for me so I'll stick to it, they have an advantage over plugs and screws in that if you pull the skirting in too far you can pull back out easily by undoing the fixing a bit. As for frame fixings not working with impact drivers I have no idea what that's all about? Mine always work fine?

lurker":h6ermni2 said:
I realised today that I have never bought brown plugs.
I had my dads when he died and the rest were given to me by the f in law and his brother.
Both worked for the same building firm and they “borrowed “ them from work.
He retired at 64 and died last year aged 90.
I use so few browns that the tub I have will probably see me to my pension and I'm only mid 30s. Reds on the other hand I go through like anything. I've saved large clear plastic peanut butter jars for my plugs. Added bonus is getting to eat the contents first!

Bit of a resurrection for which I apologise .
After advice here, I had settled for plug and screw.
More recently (am now in a position to order) I thought about gripfill.
Then a tradesman I was talking to said foam, is easiest .

I looked at toolstation offerings and am confused :oops:
Some foams seem to be fillers rather than adhesives.
So..... From toolstation's offerings what would be best?
I want to avoid the types that require a separate gun .
I thought I would buy a single tube by way of an experiment before I committed myself .
I have 60 metres of skirting to fit. :roll:

Which ever foam you get, the gun grade ones are a lot better and easier to use. The cost of a gun is about 15 quid but you easily save that over a few tins of foam especially with not having to throw away part used tins. The guns never need cleaning out either As long as you leave some foam in the tin and close the gun down properly, when you next use it just clean the end of the gun and away you go.

Agree with owens responses. A gun is the way to go.

I think they will all work. I've not used it for skirtings myself but have used for plenty of other things. I would buy the cheapest. The main difference is that some expand a lot and others are designed to expand far less. This affects how much you put squirt in. Too much and it will over expand and if constrained will push out the part you are trying to fix. I've seen it overdone on PVC window frames and bend the frames in.
Few tips
- Wear protective gloves - this stuff is very difficult to get off your skin (and clothes)
- wet the area you are foaming with a water mist - it will work more quickly
- If you do have a disaster (I've only had this connecting a can to a gun), let if go off before trying to clean up.
- If expanding type take into account how much it expands and use accordingly
- Cut with a knife or old saw when dry

Any extenal mitres, I would use mitre bond

Thanks for that.
The bloke who suggested it offered to lend me his gun, but I don't like borrowing tools.

So how do you fix skirting using foam?

Do you tack it or wedge it in place until the foam goes off, I thought the foam would just push the skirting off the wall as it expanded?

I was on a job a while ago where the builder tried fixing some splayed plasterboard window linings with just foam. All looked fine when he did them but when he came back later the foam had expanded pushing everything out of line and then set like that, they all had to be redone.

I used foam once. Just the once. :shock: (hammer)
No more nails, or, I've just used a tube called (honest) "sticks like s%&t".

You can see exactly how much you put on, and it doesnt grow at all. =D>

Back