Marquetry Platter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a day off today and SWMBO graciously allowed me to spend some of it in the shed.

Here is a platter I created using some new techniques which i''ve set out here - but if anyone has any better ideas/methods - please do tell.

I turned the outside shape and edge and at that time set a groove to take the edge strip and glued that into place.

Having reversed the platter I turned the internal shapeand then using a mini parting tool cut 4 grooves to set the Rosewood square stringers into and glued them into place. Lastly with skew cut the centre to accept the marquetry panel. That was glued into place and the tailstock brought up and wedge a suitable offcut to press into place.

When glue was dry cleaned up the platter and finished with finishing oil and then on the Beale Buffing system

Please to hear what you think of it

NB - Wot no carving! :shock:

ps if you can see the dent - I brought it proud of my new creation handed it to SWMBO for inspection and she dropped it :? :twisted: (hammer)

DSC01416.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01422.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

DSC01419.jpg

gasmansteve":2397laet said:
Lovely piece Colin and very nicely proportioned, never tried marquetry before !
Steve

Thanks for the comment. However, i can't take the credit for the marquetry. I bought the bits from Original Marquetry company but have enjoyed using them and making me think of different styles to show them off. I am pleased with the end product.

Colin,
Love that style of turning, have not tried it as yet. You have made a lovely piece nothing
that I can see wrong with it. What bump :?:

Finish looks excellant , a super piece and well thought out .
Much prefer this to colouring.
Just my thinking , Love it.

REgards Boysie

I really love this.

Can I ask about the rosewood stringers - Did it just curve round ok or did you have to do anything to it to get it to bend?

Jensmith":25enubb9 said:
I really love this.

Can I ask about the rosewood stringers - Did it just curve round ok or did you have to do anything to it to get it to bend?

The stringers are thin enough to bend in gentle curves without any messing around. When it is in the hand you can feel that one way bends easier than the other. It was a case of cutting the groove full depth so the stringer is not fighting to get out. I used Gorrila indoor glue filled the groove and then just worked the stringer round. Wiped off excess glue coarsley as I didn't want to be messing around too much left it to set and finished it off. I have to say that I am pleased with the result.

boysie39":1a1h2xp9 said:
Colin,
Love that style of turning, have not tried it as yet. You have made a lovely piece nothing
that I can see wrong with it. What bump :?:

Finish looks excellant , a super piece and well thought out .
Much prefer this to colouring.
Just my thinking , Love it.

REgards Boysie

Pleased that you like it and it was all to your liking. We do aim to pleae on occasion!

Trouble is when you set out to try different things you never know how it will work out but I was pleased with the whole thing. Learnt a few bits for the next time but definitely something I will be trying again in different ways.

Wood spoiler":30utjqaf said:
Jensmith":30utjqaf said:
I really love this.

The stringers are thin enough to bend in gentle curves without any messing around. When it is in the hand you can feel that one way bends easier than the other. It was a case of cutting the groove full depth so the stringer is not fighting to get out. I used Gorrila indoor glue filled the groove and then just worked the stringer round. Wiped off excess glue coarsley as I didn't want to be messing around too much left it to set and finished it off. I have to say that I am pleased with the result.

It's really effective and looks great.

Really like the use of the marquetry inserts, congratulations on the tool control to get such a good fit.

CHJ":1n4trab2 said:
Really like the use of the marquetry inserts, congratulations on the tool control to get such a good fit.

Thanks Chas, always chuffed if my workmanship generates a compliment from your good self.

The marquetry inserts give an interesting different angle to turning.

nice one! =D>
i think i may invest in some marquetry or veneers and have a go, looks a lot more 'um?? 'professional' and less 'crafty' than pyro, (not dissing pyromaniacs out there, its just cos i cant do it :))

nev":is7c356e said:
nice one! =D>
i think i may invest in some marquetry or veneers and have a go, looks a lot more 'um?? 'professional' and less 'crafty' than pyro, (not dissing pyromaniacs out there, its just cos i cant do it :))

Thanks Nev

I don't think it is better than any other decoration - to me it is just different. Like all these things it is down to experimentation and looking at the output. It is actually quite straightforward to use. Having now tried it - I like what can be done and commend it to the House - as they say. Give it a go and do show us how you get on.

Latest posts

Back