Marmite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fighting talk, Terry

next you'll be praising beetroot and mayo sandwiches (many years ago I thought I'd invented these, but then found they were favourites in some parts of your country).

I don't hate MDF and I'll use it for some jigs/shop furniture but as a material for furniture I cannot abide, MDF kitchens perhaps my biggest pet hate.

Don’t you know old people lived hundred of years and they built the ark after all.

The same people who are against modern materials are probably against the use of other modern things like high speed steel, the wheel and clean drinking water.
To be fair, MDF is a throwback to the 60's and is in dire need of being replaced with a suitable modern product alternative.

Luckily not out of MDF otherwise who knows what may have occured during them floods!

Arrh........... not heard of Tricoya then? Here is some MDF sculpture /art.
Cropped.png

I have some utility room cupboards where I varnished the interier faces of the MDF carcase and I think it looks good and has been a durable finish for 7 or 8 yrs, edges of course took a bit of pva to seal them.
Just a warning, I was given some big bits of an MDF packing case, but when I came to use it its a turnip size, 16mm from memory, I used it to build a stand for my pillar drill and it came out well but it could make life difficult if you assume its always going to be a standard thickness.
Ah, I see that the auto anti profanity checker has turned “bas…rd” into Turnip,,,but you get my drift Im sure

Last edited:
I have some utility room cupboards where I varnished the interier faces of the MDF carcase and I think it looks good and has been a durable finish for 7 or 8 yrs, edges of course took a bit of pva to seal them.
Just a warning, I was given some big bits of an MDF packing case, but when I came to use it its a turnip size, 16mm from memory, I used it to build a stand for my pillar drill and it came out well but it could make life difficult if you assume its always going to be a standard thickness.

it's the most accurate material out there, what you got was probably 15mm MDF, or maybe a coverboard used for packing cases. MDF sizing is very very accurate, way better than ply. I buy hundreds of boards per annum and I'd say it's all within 0.1mm

My last job was as a D&T technician in a school, MDF was a commonly used material for the kids & there were a lot of dust issues.
Personally i would have tried not to use it but it wasnt my choice! Management wouldnt / didnt address the issue so i walked.
I use it for pattern making for grp moulds little else.

Very strange, but I bet they still sell those very strange nasty tasting after dinner black licorice style things, I wish I could remember the name, they came in little tins – absolutely disgusting taste ha ha.
Edit, remembered it, Ga-jol.

Last edited:
I think that if we'd been meant to be working with MDF, then God would have made some trees from it, really.

lets forget metal then, because if god had wanted us to use it he would have made metal bushes, not hidden it under ground in rocks.
I'm not convinced any arguement which introduces god is a winning formula.

Latest posts

Back