marking joints for assembly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
so having got my project up and running, i need to move to the next stage which is cleaning up prior to glue up.

th_finaldryassembly2.jpg
[/url]

so the question is what do you do after you have cut the joints, made it fit, and want to clean it up, either by sanding, or by scraping??

how and where do you mark to ensure each joint goes in the right place again. i understand that i can mark the tenons, but what about around the mortices???

all sensible answers considered :lol:

on a totally separate point, stuck a chisel in the top of my thumb today, and it didn't really bleed very much, whereas when i slide it across my finger i bleed like a stuffed pig :?

very strange..

paul[/img]

dom, you really do worry me, first the domino, then all that time in the toy shop buying kids markers :lol: :twisted:

but a very decent and sensible idea. since you need to leave places clear for the glue, and i would like to try this time and stain before glue up :roll:

paul :wink:

Staining before glue does have its drawbacks Paul i.e. you must be caeful of squeeze out and the removal of it, as you may mar the colouring.

Dom

Paul
I have used those self adhesive coloured dots you can get from stationers
1 pack has many colours

some are quite small and at a pinch you could even add written info with a pen,

cheers Nigel

why not just number them with a pencil? saves a lot of hassle. and i would use sandpaper with a hard block around the joints to make sure you dont round any of the timber over and make a gap in the joint. Cabinet scraper will have the same effect as when you bend it to get a cut it makes a slightly hollow groove.

I would number them just far enough away from the joint where i can get a sander in after glue up .

I pencil mark the tennon and the mortice cheek. once sanded I re-apply the pencil mark when it is joined it is hidden anyway. :wink:

On a table leg I mark the top for the mortices, otherwise close to the mortice which will be hidden and the tenon cheek.

john

Back