March 2014 Challenge - THE RESULTS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
The results are in and I have had my steam driven computer (aka the brain :shock: :shock: ) whirring noisily to compute the scores.

So, here we go:-

Judge's Scores - Results and comments by Paul Hannaby

Here's my top 5 -
1. Dennisk - Probably the most complex entry which has been well executed - 10 points =D> =D>
2. tpot - A nice set of jewellery - 8 points
3. Nev - A captive ring on that scale takes a steady hand! - 6 points
4. Kimg - A well turned little bowl - 4 points
5. Sheptonphil - The assembly of this one must have taken some time - 2 points

Everyone else gets 1 point for entering.

It was interesting to see what ideas all the entrants came up with for this challenge. Well done to all who had a go.

Entrants' Scores - by me based on entrants' PMs of choices

All 14 entrants provided me with their choices of the top three - many thanks to all. Very close scoring for the top position. Both KimG and Dennisk were placed top by 6 entrants, with KimG just coming out on top by virtue of more second places. Between the two of them they got nearly two thirds of all available votes.

KimG - 5 points =D> =D>
Dennisk - 4 points
nev - 3 points
NickWelford - 2 points
SheptonPhil - 1 point

Overall scores

The Winner - Well in the lead with 14 points (getting good scores from both the judge and many of the entrants), and winner of this month's plaque is Dennisk - congratulations and well deserved. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Equal second place with 9 points - nev and KimG

Fourth Place with 8 points - tpot

Joint Fifth Place with 3 points - NickWelford and Sheptonphil

Name Total Score to Date

nev 24
Dennisk 18
heatherw 18
Sheptonphil 17
Dalboy 15
tpot 14
Random Orbital Bob 13
sammo 10
KimG 9
procell 6
woodmonkey 5
Soylent1 4
NickWelford 3
winemaker 3
jethro 1
Melinda_dd 1
Tazmaniandevil 1
wybrook 1

Roundup

A worthy winner, well done. Also unlucky Tasmaniandevil for not reading the rules and fair play for disqualifying yourself - I'm sure no-one would have noticed the extra few mm.

Well done everyone. I very nearly didn't enter after seeing the first few entries but at least if I enter every month I will get 12 points:)

procell":3cl59ogf said:
Well done everyone. I very nearly didn't enter after seeing the first few entries but at least if I enter every month I will get 12 points:)

I was thinking, if I enter every month I might get a few extra sympathy points :roll:

I hope to be in it this month, though I haven't got a clue what I am doing yet. is a scrambled egg ok ?

Soylent1":1h8k6qjd said:
procell":1h8k6qjd said:

I was thinking, if I enter every month I might get a few extra sympathy points :roll:

You could always do as I do and that is to start your score near the top and work down works every time for me. Never mind at least I enjoy the challenges "Must try harder" long time since I heard that one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, very chuffed with 2nd place!

As I said in my description I found this very challenging. Thought all the entries were great and all so very different from the same brief =D> .

Well done everybody who entered and big thanks for the organisers and judges!

Thanks

Andy

A really challenging challenge. Such a diversity of ideas and turning skills. Well done to every single entry.

Phil

Just goes to show you dont need mini tools to small stuff :) (just some decent glasses).
As said, a wide variety of objects and it will be interesting to if there are as many variations of an egg this month.
Thanks and well done to all.

Wow, very happy with the win. Great to see such a wide variety of ideas. Jewelry and mini bowls, never even entered my mind, but 2 of my favorites. Proves the addage, you can turn something small on a big lathe, but you cant turn something big on a small lathe.( I am fortunate to have one of the only Titan 400 lathes in Canada.) Thanks to all involved and lets support the competition. Looking forward to the eggs, maybe a Faberge will turn up.

Well done to everyone. A very difficult challenge which, as always, fills my head with possibilities for future projects. I love the spirit of this competition, especially from a beginner's perspective. When I first started turning I didn't enter the competition, because what I was producing was horrible compared to the entrants. I did however have a bash just to test myself.
I would urge all beginners to at least have an attempt at the challenge whether you decide to enter the competition or not. Every cut is a practice cut after all.

Well done everyone, an amazing selection of entries there! I got the date wrong, I was sure the last day was Sunday and I was going to finish mine then. I'll have to read the instructions properly next time....

Back