Makita LS 1013 compound saw problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael8554

Reaction score
The push-in/pull-out pin that locks the blade arm in the down position has snapped.
To replace that I need to separate the arm from the base because the pin has two diameters and can only be inserted from "inside" (the arm doesn't rise enough to clear the hole the pin is in).
The arm pivots on a tube that runs through the bevel arm and the blade arm.
I've tried drifting it out without success.
The tube is part 87 in the spare parts diagram.
If I can't separate the arms I'll have to drill it out which risks damaging the ally casting, the pin is probably hardened too.
Any ideas please?
Michael

Ouch!
The short answer is, I'm afraid, you are stuffed. I wish I could be more helpful.

I agree that the pin is probably hardened. I think your best bet is to contact Makita. I have no idea what their UK customer support presence is like.

Steve

Is this the bit with the little black plastic ball/knob on the end ?

Hi, Michael

I have one of those saws and it looks like you defiantly need to get the tube out.
It might be that the spring and weight of the saw is not helping, have you tried it lying it down to take the weight off the joint?

pete

Steve Maskery":1objtu50 said:
Ouch!
The short answer is, I'm afraid, you are stuffed. I wish I could be more helpful.

I agree that the pin is probably hardened. I think your best bet is to contact Makita. I have no idea what their UK customer support presence is like.

Steve

Their customer service is very good. It's in Milton Keynes 01908 211678

Cheers

Mike

I've dealt with them a couple of times and both times with someone called Charlotte Payne who was very helpful.

How badly do you really need it? After all, it's only used for transport, can't you just strap the arm down instead?

FWIW I was pretty impressed with spares support when I needed them - years ago now mind. I seem to remember it wasn't Makita themselves but via their (official?) spares supplier somewhere near Southampton/Portsmouth. Can't find anyone down that way that rings any bells now though, but there are plenty of people out there who can supply parts. This lot http://www.powertoolspares.com seem to know their stuff.

michael8554":wzgv1uku said:
The push-in/pull-out pin that locks the blade arm in the down position has snapped.
To replace that I need to separate the arm from the base because the pin has two diameters and can only be inserted from "inside" (the arm doesn't rise enough to clear the hole the pin is in).
The arm pivots on a tube that runs through the bevel arm and the blade arm.
I've tried drifting it out without success.
The tube is part 87 in the spare parts diagram.
If I can't separate the arms I'll have to drill it out which risks damaging the ally casting, the pin is probably hardened too.
Any ideas please?
Michael
Hi ya I had the same problem and makita fixed it for me I asked the repairer to fix it in the future if it happened again and he said size up a socket and place on the tube once the bolt has been removed and hammer it out hope this helps

I had the same problem with mine a few years ago and I think I might have used a wooden dowel to tap the tube out but, I can't be certain... You want to be wary of that spring if you do attempt this yourself (it is possible) because it us under a lot of compression and will fly out once one end is released!!

To be honest though, I would only concern myself with this if I was going to be transporting the saw around frequently. If it is stuck and you're unable to raise the saw, I think there's enough room to squeeze in a pair of needle-nose pliers to gradually ease it out and to 'free' the saw's head.

As per Phil.P my Makita experience as a whole sucked, I too have a broken ls1013 (might be the 13?, 10" blade model) which is a real shame as its the only good makita tool I have owned or used.

Without dragging my buttocks down the garage to look at it, could you get a small bolt welded onto the end of the broken pin and try to move it with that??

First of all, thanks for all your replies, I now have all the info I need.
Those phone numbers and links will be useful I'm sure.
I reckon customer services are all the same, they have some good agents, some bad, it's luck of the draw when you phone up.
I would fix this if it were easy but getting the tube back with the big spring fighting me all the way puts me right off.
I like the idea of welding a bolt on - thanks again.
Otherwise a strap or similar should be good enough.
Cheers
Michael

Back