Makita 440 Wet & Dry Vacuum Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this post went a long time without being answered, so i will answer now, in case someone searches like me, and then ask my question :)

The makita 440 comes with a corse bag that you can put inside, WITHOUT a normal paper bag. this and the micro filter will filter most of the dust, but the micro filter gets clogged very quickly.

I only recommend using this where you have waste that is not airborne. I use it for my thicknesser planer, as the chipping go in the fire. for sanding, routing, sawing, i would say always use a bag.

however, (and now my question), i noted the brown "dual lined" bags went away for a while, and i had to get these white ones, which rip, tea, break, and are generally rubbish (no pun intended).

i see the brown ones here https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/5697/sn/MAK83133B8K again, however at £36 (let's say £40 with delivery) that's £8 per bag!! i can fill a bag in a productive afternoon. that's £8 a day on bags.

Emptying them seems a bit of a coutner-productive step, as all the fine fine airborne dust will come piling out.... however i suppose if i did it outside, wearing a mask, holding it inside a sack...

then i have to seal up the bag again somehow, perhaps the bag lining is clogged, and i lose suction, perhaps the dust comes through where i tried to seal it, cos no tape job will be perfect, etc.... so does anyone else have any experience with this?

Or just a completely different clever idea :wink: :D

The poor quality of the white bags is an ongoing problem with using this vacuum.
I didn't realise that the brown bags were available - so thanks for a useful kink - but those prices are getting silly for what is a disposable bag

I'm looking for other vacuums with PTO that do not need a bag (wonder if Dyson will do an industrial version :D ) If anyone has a suggestion please let me know

Also found a polish company called profilters (won't allow link to be posted) that do a non-woven alternative at a comparable price that I intend to try - will post the results

I dare adding my 50 cents. I just bought this vac and read russian woodworking forums on the matter as I feel uneasy buying 5 pieces of paper for 20 euros. People are using this model for 5-10 years without any dust bags. You should use the nylon filter cover supplied with the machine and you'll have no problems. The only thing: while sanding periodically open the tank and wipe off the dust from the nylon. Bags are just for convenient dust disposal.

mmm, not sure i agree 100%

the nylon cover has holes you can "see" the bags filter at a much smaller size, and very small airborne dust is the worst of all...

I would like to know what the actual filtration levels of the bags and cover are so that I could compare more scientifically ;-)

also when you "wipe" the nylon, a LOT of small dust goes flying, and emptying the vac becomes very nasty indeed.

I only have one pair of lungs, so need to keep them intact as long as possible!

I DO use it bagless when i am doing anything with larger chips, so like I said, thickness/planing for example.

Back