Makita 3601B D Handle Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_h

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried one of these D handle routers now that Makita are selling a 240 volt version in the UK? I fancy adding one to my excessive pile of routers so that I can give my old Porter Cable a rest (plus stop using a site transformer!).

Hi Mark, Makita seem to think no one has a long memory but this router is not new , as they pretend. My dad had an identical one 40 years ago and I remember using it. I found that the fence, being attached to the router by a single bar always had a slight flexing action . When edge moulding you always seemed to get a slight wave effect. The moulded plastic depth setting ring engages with a moulded plastic screw thread on the motor casing and as these 2 components are moulded and not machined there as a bit of play.Also as the numbers on the depth setting ring are the same colour as the ring it is not easy to see your settings in poor light. All in all it is not a particularly good router and I am surprised they have resurrected it .
Regards, Barry.

turner

blimey - I bet makita are pleased with you!! That told 'em, eh?
Fair play mate, but I bet makita would say that the transgressing solenoid re-uptake inhibitor has been upgraded, and this warrants an extra forty quid too.

Shalln't be getting one anyway.
Was considering a Pc though.....

I was not aware this router was previously available in the UK. I have seen dear old Norm using one many times on the endless repeats of his show. I've also just searched some of the bigger US tool suppliers and nobody seems to be selling them over there any more, which does not seem a good omen!

I will hold fire for the moment and see if there is one available for a play if I go to a show over the summer.

Thanks for the advice

Mark

Latest posts

Back