Making patterns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Took a photo of our cat the other day, thought I might have a go at making a pattern out of it so I loaded it into Photoshop Elements to have a go.

I had a go at the way Gill mentioned in a recent post, I read the tutorial written by Andy Deane, hmm seems straight forward enough! Not for me no matter what I did I could not get the picture to my likeing.

Next I tried Whitewolfs Adobe photoshop tutorial again seemed straight forward enough, but I still could not get the picture as I wanted it.

In the end I tried a combination of the two and somehow I stumbled on to a reasonable picture so I printed it out and had a go at cutting it out from my pattern, I will have to persevere with making my own patterns until I can find a way that suits me and is repeatable at any time!
Well thats enough of my rambling here is the result

That's pretty good, especially for a first attempt. I hope you're happy with it - you should be :) .

Since you mention using a combination of different techniques, perhaps it's time for me to confess that my own technique is significantly different from the one that Andy Deane teaches. However, it's a style which I've evolved over the years and found it suits me. I don't know if I could actually describe the process to anyone else! It involves using several layers of an image which have each been adjusted in different ways and made transparent to different degrees.

It doesn't matter what technique(s) you use to deliver the goods, so long as the goods get delivered; which is what you've done, Sooty. Now keep practising and ask yourself each time about what elements you need to include in your patterns, what you should discard, and why. You'll soon have people beating a path to your door asking for patterns (which, of course, they'll expect you to make for free :roll: :? :) ) .

Gill

Latest posts

Back