Making a wooden scraper plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeder1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I was wondering what type of wooden plane to make next and I quite fancy trying to make a scraper plane. There doesn't appear to be much information on how to do this.

Anyone got any experience on doing this or any useful links? I've turned up very little which could be a hint that this might not be a very good idea!

I should probably say I have no experience of these types of planes so I'm not really sure of the principles. Could I just use a a regular plane blade with a very steep bed angle?

Cheers
John

John

If you can lay your hands on a copy of 'Making Woodwork Aids and Devices' by Robert Wearing, instructions for making one (and many other good things besides) are included.

Most scraper planes have a mechanism for altering the angle of the blade and/or bowing it to get it to cut effectively, so a wooden scraper plane without such mechanisms might pose a few problems in getting the angle of the blade right. Without such mechanisms you would be restricted to varying the angle of the hook put on the blade.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

If you google - Krenov style planes. You will find loads of blogs etc on plane making inc scraper/mitre planes :)

Hello,

For a starter, look at this:
http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=1526

I have made wooden scraper planes for myself, not that hard at all.
g.jpg

The second in the line is a scraper plane. The blade is bedded at 100 deg., so it is leaning forward.

Have a nice day,

János

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 5,904
Hi,

Here are mine, first a small rosewood scraper plane
DSCF0015-2.jpg

Made the Krenov way.
Second an infill scraper welded steel construction.
DSC_0039-1.jpg

The Krenov way is the easiest, it's just a laminated plane with a very high bed angle.

Pete

János":3qw5mmcz said:
Hello,

For a starter, look at this:
http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=1526

I have made wooden scraper planes for myself, not that hard at all.

The second in the line is a scraper plane. The blade is bedded at 100 deg., so it is leaning forward.

Have a nice day,

János

Jano what beautiful planes, what type of woods did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Racers":3qw5mmcz said:
Hi,

Here are mine, first a small rosewood scraper plane
DSCF0015-2.jpg

Made the Krenov way.
Second an infill scraper welded steel construction.
DSC_0039-1.jpg

The Krenov way is the easiest, it's just a laminated plane with a very high bed angle.

Pete

Pete I think I will be making the plane in the krenov style, that is how I made my scrub plane, so I will be doing the same with his one if I can.

What type of blade did you use in yours and what bed angle, it looks like it is a very small thick iron, and angle less than 90°?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm going to give this a go ....

John

János":3dlxelda said:

Have a nice day,

János
Hi, :D
I noticed the wedge is behind the blade. Is this an usual configuration of wooden scraper planes?
Regards
Giuliano

Hello,

Dear John, the planes were made from curly maple and different hardwoods for the contrasting strips, and for the soles.
The first (a miter plane, bevel down, adjustable mouth) in the row has purpleheart sole and strips.
The second (the scraper) has walnut strips, and an almond sole (almond is as hard as rosewood).
The third (a toothing plane) has walnut strips and Indian rosewood sole.
The last has a 3mm thick brass sole-plate screwed and epoxied into place, and walnut strips.

For a narrow plane (say 30-35 mm blade width) a piece of 1,2-1,5 mm thick card scraper would suffice. For wider tools a 2 mm thick tool steel blade is good enough.

Dear Giuliano, this seemingly unusual configuration is a practical necessity: the blade is bedded at 100 degrees, leaning forward 10 degrees from vertical. Putting a 10 degree wooden wedge in front of it would be impossible.

Have a nice day,

János

János":3kpvw9qq said:
Dear Giuliano, this seemingly unusual configuration is a practical necessity: the blade is bedded at 100 degrees, leaning forward 10 degrees from vertical. Putting a 10 degree wooden wedge in front of it would be impossible.

Have a nice day,

János

Thanks and compliments for these beauties. I like above all the contrast with the purpleheart.

Hi, John

My wooden one has a 95deg bed and the blade is made from a piece of 6mm Ground Flat Stock
Its nearly 50mm wide and 150mm long I would go bigger as the mouth opening it a little large on a small plane.
DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Pete

Latest posts

Back