making a table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks I am going to make a dining table for my daughter. It will be about 6ft by 3ft. Probably a simple 4 leg design. I am pretty new to spending lots of money on hardwood to make furniture of this size, so I don't want to make any wrong choices. I will probably use Oak for the legs and rails, but what might folks suggest for the top?

I'm thinking Oak or Elm, but have heard the usual horror stories of Elm twisting under most circumstances though I'd like to try Elm again, cos it does have some nice grain patterns. Also do I need to specify any sort of moisture content for the timber, or period left to dry? I'm worried about it moving excessively once I get it home. It will get left to acclimatise in the garage for 4 weeks or so, then I will want to make a start.

Years ago it wouldn't have occurred to me to ask these sort of questions. I just got on with it: Before I got married I made a few bits and pices, one of which was the coffee table below. I made this out of Elm. All I had was a drawknife, a tenon saw, and some blunt chisels, (I never knew that chisels needed constant sharpening). The two top boards were dowelled together, and where there were gaps (I didn't have a plane) I got some shavings and glued them in between the boards. One coat of Poly was applied 32 years ago, and it has been abused ever since, but it will long out live me.
ctable.jpg

After a gap of 30 odd years, I am back to making things out of wood, I have planes and sharpening kit, so I reckon I will be able to do the woodwork, providing the timber doesn't present me with too many challenges..

Ant views on Oak or Elm, or anything else for that matter.

Attachments

• ctable.jpg
    ctable.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 124
  • joint.jpg
    joint.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 124
skeetstar":1ygiiral said:
The two top boards were dowelled together, and where there were gaps (I didn't have a plane) I got some shavings and glued them in between the boards.

What are you trying to achieve?

1. Have a bit of fun and occupy your retirement, bashing some wood around in your shed? Nothing wrong with that by the way.

If so then just crack on. Your plan sounds about right, oak or elm won't make much difference and you've done it before so you can do it again.

2. Give your daughter a table that you can all be proud of and that will be cherished by the family for generations to come?

If so then slow right down, there's a lot of learning and practise between where you are and where you need to be, more than just deciding between oak and elm. A really well made table is at least a year away, probably two or three.

3. Give your daughter a table, any table?

If so then call Oak Furniture Land, they'll sell you a solid hardwood table built to a (somewhat) higher standard than you're currently capable of, and cheaper than you can make for yourself.

Back