Making a Sack Back chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday (update with a few more pic)

It was going to be a busy day; starting with cleaning up the seat ready for fitting the back and arms. It's 8am.

PB160058-1.jpg

Holes were drilled on the seat and the arm bow. You'll have to go on the course to see the clever new laser-based method that we used for drillinng the bow and seat on the same angle. Alternatively study the penultimate picture closely because we used it again on the top bow.

PB170059.jpg

With the spindles and arm supports glued and wedged in place we are "cooking on gas" and it's not quite 10:30am.

PB170061.jpg

The sliding bevel gives us the angle to drill a hole in the arm bow to take the top bow.

PB170062.jpg

With the top bow shaped and in place we drill the holes for the spindles. God it's quarter to 1 where has the morning gone. Spot the laser!

PB170063.jpg

For Peter it's a leisurely cleanup. For me it's shape and fit the rockers - too busy to take pictures.

PB170064.jpg

Quarter to 5. A happy chairmaker :D - until I try to fit the chair in my car. :evil: in the pouring rain and wind. :evil: :evil: and break the rearview mirror off in the process. :evil: :evil: :evil:

PB170066.jpg

I returned on Sunday in a van to collect the chair. There's a lesson there I think. Probably the one SWMBO has suggested many times... get a sensible car!

That's been an inspirational thread, Phil. Looks like you had a good time and came away with a lovely chair :wink:

Thanks

Paul

Fantastic! great thread.

Well done on a very nice chair :wink:

Seriously impressed, I really do feel a bit mickey mouse when I look at these phots's :shock:

I do woodwork for a living and I don't honestly think I could produce such refined work and do it quick enough to turn a profit..... if I could do the work at all.
I'm afraid that looking at these photo's make's me aware of how much I have yet to learn,and yet aware of how much more I want to learn.

I am impressed in no small measure. Well done. I hope to see many more of your photo's and future projects,

Decklan. P.S . I resent the mass production of such furniture and the subsequent loss of the old skills ( even though we buy it with hand made furniture being too costly for the majority,) so I applaud all those who retain and pass on these time honoured skills.

Phil,
Thanks for the great story. I saw James Mursell at Westonbirt and thought that looked like something I would like to do. If I hadn't gone back to work full time, I'd have probably been there with you.

Chris

Latest posts

Back