Making a Sack Back chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
After my earlier experience at the Windsor Workshop I've come back this week to make a Sack Back Chair - like this one.

PB130014.jpg

Phil

End of day 1.

What do I have to show for it.... a basket of turned legs, strechers and arm posts....

PB130011.jpg

.... all ready for drying. They are all from green sweet chestnut btw.

We also steam bent the back bow and arm. These parts were cut from green oak and despite reducing the steaming time - from the hour we had previously used for sweet chestnut - to a mere 40 minutes we suffered 5 consecutive failures during the bend. It was great to see that even a pro like James Mursell has failures. :D

Eventually with just 30 minutes steaming all bows and arms were succesfully bent. Pictures to follow.

Tomorrow it's spindles and inital seat shaping. The seat will be poplar (tulipwood) this time; another new experience.

Phil

PS - Forgot to mention. I'm adding rockers to this chair. Hence the fat base to the legs - in case you were wondering.

Nice job Phil
I make a few chairs and that as well EG
work5.jpg

The pattern for your latest one looks to be a nice hybrid, sort of farmhouse english top bow and spindles but american style seat and undercarriage (and splat-less). Personally am not a great fan of english windsors I think they look silly with ball and claw feet cabroile legs and overly ornate turnings, legs stuck in the corners etc etc, but I prefer the primitive welsh and irish ones I like their distinctive and subversive characters. That little spokeshave in the older pictures looks good. Cherry seat blank must have set you back a bob or 2 :lol: :lol: I just made a seat out of oak worktop and was only partly happy. The form and the carving was easy but the wood itself was poor quality with lots of shakes, havent decided yet what to do with it :wink:
Good luck with the remainder of your time with Mr Mursell
cheers Jonathan :D

Belated Day 2 update

A day cleaving oak and shaving spindles... I started by wishing we were making the 15 spindle variant of this chair. By 5pm I was very glad my chair will only have 11 (7 long and 4 short).

My fellow student (nearly 25 years my senior :shock: he exhibits the strength and stamina of someone much younger) demonstrates the art of cleaving oak...

PB140017.jpg

and using the cleaving brake to prevent the split running off at a funny angle thus saving precious wood. :D

PB140015.jpg

The master shaves a spindle to provide a template. These are different to my earlier chair. Instead of being smoothly tapered, they are parallel from the top to 9 inches above the seat where they swell out. very nice shape - at least james was :)

PB140020.jpg

To round off a busy day we started the poplar (tulip wood) seat...

.. the underside marked out for drilling the leg mortices. Note sight lines and drilling angles...

PB140021.jpg

.. setting up the angles on the wonderful Meddings drill. (one for Scrit)
PB140024.jpg

...with the leg and arm holes in place. We add depth guage holes in the top which will guide the hollowing process which begins with adzing ......... and progresses to the travisher (but now I'm ahead of myself and night has turned to day)

PB140025.jpg

PB140027.jpg

Day 3.

... speaking of travishers. This one I bought from James earlier in the year is a wonderful tool.

PB150028.jpg

The usual rasping (note to Philly: no gratuitous shot of an Auriou rasp :) )of the shape was following by scraping and sanding. We were relegated to the open air for this final exercise.

With this out of the way the exciting bit starts. First jigging up for fitting the arm bow...

PB150030.jpg

Marks here establish the position of an oak block that will be added to the bow to be shaped later.

PB150032.jpg

Planing up the bent bow and the block for edge joining was interesting :eek:

PB150037.jpg

To end the day - the legs we made on Monday (which had been drying for 48 hours) were sanded on the lathe and the tenons were sized accurately ready for fitting.

Spot the un-sanded leg...

PB150034.jpg

With the legs in place and aligned ready for drilling tomorrow ,it's time for a well earned beer.

PB150041.jpg

it's time for a well earned beer.

Dead right,you've certainly earned one or two :wink:

Excellent thread with excellent pictures - makes very compulsive reading!

Good luck with the rest of it,and looking forward to the next installment :D

Andrew

Blimey! This is as gripping as a good novel! Lovely work - great to see these traditional skills thriving.

Good Surname or what ?":3iheuck1 said:
Day 3.

... speaking of travishers. This one I bought from James earlier in the year is a wonderful tool.

My lovely wife bought me one from (I think) James at the westonbirt show - it really is a joy to use. A tad expensive though.

Day 4 (after beer)

Day started with "legging-up". Selloptape wrapped around the legs prevents breakout when drilling with a brace and bit.

PB160044.jpg

... drilling legs first (for side stretchers) then the side stretchers for center stretcher. The legs come out of the seat between each operation.

PB160042.jpg

PB160045.jpg

.... with the undercarriage ready for glue up we move on.

PB160054.jpg

For me that meant cutting housings for the rockers - before gluing up; while Peter and James started on the arm bows. James shaped the hand hold and started the scraping of mine because I was running out of time.

[
PB160053.jpg

James has clever jigs to help locate the position of the holes for the arm supports.

PB160055.jpg

Drilling and reaming the holes in the arm bow for the tapered tenons is still done by eye.

PB160056.jpg

PB160057.jpg

I see your using a marples bit in your brace I just got one and it cuts the cleanest holes I've seen, superb (mattools on ebay)
Are the rocker blades made from sawn beech ?
Nosy arent I is that one of the brian boggs bronze spoke shaves on the bench top? have you used it?
Looking good
cheers Jonathan :D

ps can you do us some close up pictures of the little spokeshaves in the rack please?? :D

Jonathan,

I didn't notice the brand of bit in the brace ! Who does? 8)

However, the Boggs shave is mine and I love it for fine work but I have to say I prefer the wooden shave that James loaned me. The small shave is by Muingfanfjang or whatever (chinese) and is lovely to use. I've had one since the start of the year and wouldn't be without it.

I think the rockers are kiln dried cherry. But to honest, I've been too busy to worry. I'm now full of of beer and good music (tonight they had a live band on at the Swan in Fittleworth where I've stayed this week) and still don't care - but I'll check tomorrow.

Phil

PS - I think this chair is made of (in vertically descending order)

---- Oak (back bow, arm bow and spindles)
---- Tulip Wood (seat)
---- Sweet Chestnut (legs and stretchers)
---- Cherry (rockers)

Very nice,Phil - hope you're pleased with it :D

Been great fun following the building process (although hopefully you had more fun making it.. :wink: )

Andrew

=D> =D>
Very nice Phil
It makes me want to start my own one as I have repair a few :roll: :wink:
plus I do like them :)

Latest posts

Back