Making a plough plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trizza

Established Member
Reaction score
I quite enjoy building guitars, however cutting the truss rod slot is a bit of a pain. A plough plane would be ideal for this - I've been bitten somewhat by the plane making bug, so I've been looking around a bit for information online on building one. However I haven't found too much on the topic aside from references to the "Wooden planes and how to make them" book I've had my eye on for a while. Any other suggestions? The concept looks easy enough, but I'm sure theres a bunch of gotchas involved...

Hi this is Dan, my sons and I have been known to make a few ploughs, if there is anything that we can help you with let us know. I would start with a un toted model for your first attempt. The skate should be either 3/32" - 1/8" thick. Try the wedge arms first they are relatively easy to fit.

Take care,

Dan
www.dlbarrettandsons.com

Dan,
Welcome to the forum. As new poster, your web site address was caught by our spam trap - it won't let you post urls until you have made a couple more posts.

You have indeed made a few ploughs! I'm sure our own Philly will be pleased to see another plane maker aboard.

Here is Dan's web site http://www.dlbarrettandsons.com

Tristan
Well worth getting hold of John Whelan's "Making Traditional Wooden Planes" - there are plans and step-by-step's for four different plough planes in there.

Welcome aboard, Dan - Chris, we already know each other :wink:

Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":2j7ta7p1 said:
John Whelan's "Making Traditional Wooden Planes"

Am I seeing things? Why is this book so expensive?

Somewhere I'm pretty sure I have an article on how to make one in an old Woodworker annual, but whether I can actually find it is another matter. IIRC it included a system to use chisels as irons. If it's of any interest I'll make an effort to try and find it.

Cheers, Alf

That sounds very interesting Alf, if you do find it then I'd be keen to see it. No rush though! A system using chisels would be very interesting indeed.

I've been searching all over and can't find an index or anything for "Making Traditional Wooden Planes". I'd love to see a list of the plans contained, it sounds like an interesting book.

Hmmm... think I have an Amazon voucher laying around here somewhere...

Thanks Cris. Hey Phil I hear you are busy, the new chamfer plane looks good. Are you coming to WIA In 2010?

Dan

Dan
Yes, things have ben picking up! Hoping to make a visit or two to your side of the pond next year - planning as we speak. The chamfer plane is a lot of fun, finishing my first order for that today.
Cheers
Philly :D

Trizza":gr1fjplv said:
I quite enjoy building guitars, however cutting the truss rod slot is a bit of a pain. A plough plane would be ideal for this - I've been bitten somewhat by the plane making bug, so I've been looking around a bit for information online on building one. However I haven't found too much on the topic aside from references to the "Wooden planes and how to make them" book I've had my eye on for a while. Any other suggestions? The concept looks easy enough, but I'm sure theres a bunch of gotchas involved...

I think a router would do this job better, (a cheap one would be sufficient)because you would not have grain direction worries. Of course you might be wanting to make guitars the old fashioned way.

devonwoody":x8ru2xf0 said:
I think a router would do this job better, (a cheap one would be sufficient)because you would not have grain direction worries. Of course you might be wanting to make guitars the old fashioned way.

I'm a handtool user for a few reasons - its just kinda nice, I have an aversion to fine dust, and my "workshop" is in a very noise sensitive location (ie, my balcony). A router will do a good job in this case, but it isn't faster after you factor in jigging it up, and certainly not as satisfying as using a nice plane.

What you say Trizza is true, but making a plough plane without using machinery, nice, but would mean jigging time with router would be nothing to time spent making a plane.
However I understand some woodworkers enjoy and prefer hand craftsmanship.

Why make any tools yourself, if your only concern is time ;)
And of course it would be useful for more than just cutting truss rod slots - not to mention the sheer tool-geekery and satisfaction of it! I'm not dead set on the idea, I just thought it would be interesting to look into.

I cut my stiffener / truss rod slots with a plough. Have used a router in the past, and it isn't quicker, it is noisier and dirtier, there is an incumbent risk to the stock, and grain direction doesn't matter - just define the face edge to suit (and the groove isn't for show anyway.)

Hi Trizza,

Sorry Im a little late to the thread.

Are you planning to cut the slot the full length of the neck, from the heel to where it runs out at the headstock scarf joint? I would love to cut truss rod slots by hand but I prefer Music Man style rods so I use stopped slots, and I cant see how a traditional plough plane could do this? Maybe a bullnosed plough would work.

Let us know what you decide on! :)

I think the typical method for a stopped slot with a plough plane is to chisel a groove at one end first. I'm just gathering ideas at the moment - if I build one then I'll definitely post about it!

Latest posts

Back