Magnetic plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knox-on-Wood

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just purchased Woodworking Joinery by Hand by the Japanese craftsman Toyohisa Sugita. Its a GMC publication. The essential aspect of the book is the building of a series of jigs that utilises magnetic plate. However it gives little information as to the strength of the magnetic pull needed or where it might be obtained in the UK. Any advice would be welcome.

Ewan

Search on Amazon/eBay for magnetic sheet. It is used for 3D printer beds. I bought a sheet some time ago with 3M adhesive backing. It is surprisingly strong attraction when you have a large contact area.

I think it might be the same stuff used for magnetic signs that go on the sides of vans (e.g. if you need to put the company logo on a hired van). It won't have adhesive on it, but that might give you some ideas for a cheap source of supply.

Also very similar are magnetic whiteboards that go on your fridge.

I've just bought some magnets from first4magnets.com, v good service and they have a huge range including magnetic sheet, and a lot of useful FAQs and videos.

You could try a plain steel plate and use somethinhg like the magswitch style magnets on the "other bit".

Latest posts

Back