Mafell P1cc buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redefined_cycles

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for sharing your thoughts in advance. After asking on this very lovely forum about a new jigsaw I'm 'mind made up' on a a Mafell. It's probably what I needed in the first place as I only only really have room/safety-margin for three types of saw.

The handsaws in various grades (made slight mistake with the Wickes £3 fine cut saw for mitres recently but that was just a test case to prove a point to myself), a jigsaw which comes out whrn it's to much work for the handsaw and the Irwin metal saws.

Now I'm gonna upgrade the Makita (older model, made in Japan it appears) jigsaw with the Mafell and also possibly get the Bosch blue from B&Q for my dad. Only after confirming if the Makita is or isn't tracking straight. Though I suspect it is and it was just the blade I'd knackered (my bad, cutting what I think is hardwood along it's grain with a Bosch blade for fine cuts - hit me when you see me!).

According to TimberWolfTools it'll be the last saw I'll ever need and judging from my reading and reviews, I think I agree - did I say I only really have time/space for three types of saw! So I'm gonna get one on finance to ensure I'm getting the most out of it. Obviously interest free as it's againsty religion to dabble in that.

Here are what it appears to be my two options...

https://www.thesawcentre.co.uk/mafe...saw-kit-with-tilting-base-and-800mm-rail.html
This comes with the standard accesories (there's alot lot more than a standard JS sold these days) but also the long length of 0.8m guide plate aswell as the tilting base. Though a standard accesory is a straight guide fence maybe the 0.8m guide plate is too much a luxury. Buying em later would mean forking another £150 or at least £130. Definitely needs the tilting base.

https://www.on-sitetools.co.uk/p/mafell-p1cc-900w-jigsaw-240vOr this at just over a hundred quid less. But only standard accessories and the box. But I'd be stuck without the tilt base as I have a tendency of making/needing alot of bevel cuts...

Not sure if either have a standard finance option but paypal does... Thanks

I have used one of these at a demo, it is definitely the best jigsaw.
However they do use a special blade ( normal ones fit as well ) which are pretty expensive.

If I was getting one I would just get the full kit, you will end up buying those other bits anyway in the end you can also get a coping foot for them as well.
I find it a bit crazy that the tilting base is not always supplied with it.
It will never be as good as a track saw or table saw for bevel cuts. But it is the best jigsaw you can buy.

Ollie

https://www.thesawcentre.co.uk/mafe...saw-kit-with-tilting-base-and-800mm-rail.html
After much contemplation (not really, figure of speech.. but I did discuss it appropriately) and waiting til payday, I finally bought the above kit. On 3 months interest free finance so only £350 left to pay ;-)

Told my dad yesterday that he could keep the Makita indefinitely and I'll grab it back when he's done. Also told him there's a Bosch blue for cheap at B&Q at which he told me I should just wait for the Makita as it's not many cuts he'll be doing.

Nor did I tell him that I'm getting the Rolls Royce of saws or that I wasn't actually getting the Bosch blue... (smile).

However they do use a special blade ( normal ones fit as well ) which are pretty expensive.
It is the blade and lack of roller guide that make this tool so special, if it was me I would accept the cost and always buy the Cunex blades even at twenty quid a pop and hope they last for a reasonable time.

Yup, will definitely be using the tilt base straight away and the Makita before it did many angled cuts with that function. The 0.8m rail might prove to be overkill as my first few cuts on the 200mm width joist to get it down to 150mm might prove difficult having the base overlaid on it...

£70 for the 0.8m rail is indeed alot of money but buying the tilting base on it's own would have required me to pay extra delivery charges so I just went with the full kit. Can't wait :)

Just a heads up, but did you notice that the one you linked to above is only available from that supplier in 110v - I'm not sure whether you require that or 240v....

I find the 110 volt tools do last better and can also be cheaper, that was the case when I brought a Makita tracksaw from Toolden and saved myself about £86. Keep us all informed of your first impressions and some feedback when you receive it and have tried it out.

I've got one of these. it's about average tbh the w1 blades are OK and work without deflection. many of the features are not great and it's heavy. apart from that it's great.( typical overpriced German s#×t.
sorry I wasn't here earlier.!

Yup, will definitely be using the tilt base straight away and the Makita before it did many angled cuts with that function. The 0.8m rail might prove to be overkill as my first few cuts on the 200mm width joist to get it down to 150mm might prove difficult having the base overlaid on it...

£70 for the 0.8m rail is indeed alot of money but buying the tilting base on it's own would have required me to pay extra delivery charges so I just went with the full kit. Can't wait :)
The Makita you've given your Dad might have a warped base. If you hold it up and look towards the blade, check that the base either side of the blade is level. mine was tracking badly and that's what the problem was; a new base is only around £20 on eBay.

I watched a demo of the Mafell last Friday and it was very impressive; Using the tilt base with a standard blade and running along the edge of a track it cut a perfect mitre along a length of 18mm chipboard. My mate was sorely tempted to buy one there and then but reminded himself he was saving for a new TV! I'd be interested in your opinion on its performance and usability, especially if you find the thick body tricky to handle as you're cutting.

Hi @mikej460 and thanks for the comment.

Not been around for a while as my car started gicing me some gyp as and when I was supposed to bw starting working on the outhouse etc. Not sure if I mentioned the button not full engaging but I spoke to Mafell about this and apparently it's standard thing and built into the design for some reason. How very unusual and the service chap did say he'd ask the engineers about it and get back to me but like Jonny said about, "standard overpriced German tat".

Other than that I've been very happy with it. Only put it through its paces briefly but the accuracy - even without the think double blade of theirs - is amazing. I'm looking forward to using it some more but agree again with Jonny about the weight. Double the weight of so many other JGs and the best way to describe is that it weighs the same as my SDS Makita haer drill!

I'd imagine it's this weight that probably stops many 'constant' users to stay away but then again that might bw the reason it reviews much better than the Festool equivalent (which I'm led to believe is alot lot lighter). 900w motor though so I guess such weight is to be expected...

Last edited by a moderator:
Weight is a sign that decent materials and engineering have been used, we are getting used to lighter weight tools these days and accepting it as good but go back twenty odd years and tools were heavier, I still have a large Hilti SDS drill and it is three times the weight of my newer bosch but then it uses a lot less plastic and more metal. Weight can also help control the tool, but it also becomes less noticable if used on a regular basis because you just get the stamina and I often think about the carpenters of old, they would have been built like a blacksmith when everything was done by handtools.

Last edited:
From all the online reviews and info from @Job and Knock the Mafell has no competion because it is different from all the others, just have to accept the blades are more expensive but at the same time they do not have any friction from the blade guide used on all the others and we look forward to hearing your feedback.

I took the plunge and purchased one of these at the weekend from Harrogate show. You can not compare these to other jigsaws. The below picture shows a trial curved cut in air dried oak which is approx 2” 1/4 thick.

Attachments

• 86EB459B-162F-4F50-989C-681D3B9135F9.jpeg
    86EB459B-162F-4F50-989C-681D3B9135F9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I took the plunge and purchased one of these at the weekend from Harrogate show. You can not compare these to other jigsaws. The below picture shows a trial curved cut in air dried oak which is approx 2” 1/4 thick.
Yes... I totally agree (does yours have an on/off button that also doesn't look to engage fully - been told by the rep that it's part of thw design for some strange reason).

I've actually cut down the lengths of about 4m of c24 (is that the higher grade one) which was reclaimed from a local listed type building. The Makita would have burnt at least 2x bosch rough cut blades during that process (I tried already) but the Mafell just got the job done and not a burnt blade in sight.

I compared the double-thick special blade with the standard (but good) Bosch and both did the job admirably. Maybe the thick Mafell was fractionally faster. Am hoping to get at least 4 times the life out of this per blade. Maybe more...

@Linwoodjoinery pls pls do be careful when turning it on. Due to that engagement issue I mentioned (and possiibly my dyslexia) I once hadn't realised it was in the on position and plugged it in. You can just imagine my reaction when I thankfully didn't get chopped.

Extra care needed due to their historical design flaw and no colour... Maybe the switch could have been red when in the on position to counteract that design flaw (apparently) and hopefully save someone being cut to pieces. Though you'd think, whoever buys one of these would be right up there in their health n safety precautions.

Definitely a 10/10 jigsaw in my opinion and someone in the engineering team needs shooting for that engagement issue!

The Makita you've given your Dad might have a warped base. If you hold it up and look towards the blade, check that the base either side of the blade is level. mine was tracking badly and that's what the problem was; a new base is only around £20 on eBay.

I watched a demo of the Mafell last Friday and it was very impressive; Using the tilt base with a standard blade and running along the edge of a track it cut a perfect mitre along a length of 18mm chipboard. My mate was sorely tempted to buy one there and then but reminded himself he was saving for a new TV! I'd be interested in your opinion on its performance and usability, especially if you find the thick body tricky to handle as you're cutting.
A TV? Some people have odd priorities…

Back