Made a start

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I have made a start on the corner unit although I have had to put the shoe cabinet on hold for the moment.
fcuttingtherebatessn7.jpg

I managed to get most of the base unit assembled:
jbaseunitassembledhr0.jpg

And ended up the day with a dry fit on the top section:
ldryfitshelfunitue4.jpg

I found that one of our local timber merchants selling pine furniture boards much cheaper than the Wickes version too which makes life easier:
apinepanelshf4.jpg

Not only that but they are in ten foot lengths! :D

Yes L N, Henry does keep his eye on me, he is a big help. :) Well today I managed to make some flutes for the face of the shelf unit:
oflutesfinishednq3.jpg

I also made some mouldings:
qcornincesectionsfj0.jpg

To make the cornice:
scompletecornicerl5.jpg

And finally finished the day with the top mounted on the base temporarily:
uendofdayqn1.jpg

tomorrow I should be able to get the cornice and plinth fitted.
Oh my router and saw guide is of course home made and I have Mel to thank for the laminate, works a treat. Although I am going to put some non slip rubber on the bottom as mentioned in the buying advice section. Oh yes and I almost forgot it also needs some doors. :wink:

Yes L N, Henry does keep his eye on me, he is a big help. :) Well today I managed to make some flutes for the face of the shelf unit:
oflutesfinishednq3.jpg

I also made some mouldings:
qcornincesectionsfj0.jpg

To make the cornice:
scompletecornicerl5.jpg

And finally finished the day with the top mounted on the base temporarily:
uendofdayqn1.jpg

tomorrow I should be able to get the cornice and plinth fitted.
Oh my router and saw guide is of course home made and I have Mel to thank for the laminate, works a treat. Although I am going to put some non slip rubber on the bottom as mentioned in the buying advice section. Oh yes and I almost forgot it also needs some doors. :wink:

Hi Mailee,
nice work mate, i like the mouldings, very professional looking :D
is that your new compressor i see in the background ?

what finish are you intending to use on the unit ?
Gary

Hi Garry, yes it is. I ended up going for a large one that I can jsut manage to lift into the car. It also runs my other air tools so best of both worlds really. As for the finish I am not looking forward to it as the lady said she wanted it in a mid oak colour and varnished! I don't have to tell you what Pine is like to stain a right bu**er! I shall try a couple of test pieces first and make sure I put plenty of sanding sealer on it before I start with the stain. I am on the lookout for some water based stain as I have read this is best for Pine. I will keep my fingers crossed on this one. :roll:

I got the cornice and plinth fitted today and started on the doors:
xroutingrailsmh4.jpg

I am making the unit in two halfs so I can transport it and have used biscuits to align the top to the bottom.
After a dry fit of the doors:
ycdryfitfordoorsdv6.jpg

The unit is not far off completion now and I ended the day with this:
yealmosttherech9.jpg

All that remains now is to fit the doors and a good sanding before starting the work of finishing, which I am not looking forward to. :cry:

Looking good Mailee - you're a braver man than me to take on staining :shock:

Well Tony, brave or not I have started on the staining at last, more to my annoyance as it turned out like a patchwork quilt! I gave it two rogged on coats of sanding sealer before using the stain but the wood was like blotting paper! I have had to strip it and start again I am afraid. I have had more sucess the second time around with two damn good coats of sanding sealer brushed on this time and then nibbed back to provide a smooth surface. This time when I added he stain with a cloth it took much better without the stain sinking in too far. This has now produced a more uniform colour and density I am glad to say. I have left the whole thing overnight now to see what it turns out like in the morning. I have my fingers crossed. :roll:

Well I am on my third attempt at the stain as the last one showed all the sanding marks! I will get there eventually I am sure, but it is dong my head in at the moment. :evil:

I have for many years now used a water based stain sprayed on quiet liberally and wiped with a dry cloth and left to dry. You can tell when it's dry when the wood stops feeling cold to the touch. I never have blotchiness problems, and if there are any slight differences in colour then it is masked when I apply top coat of wax.
And if you live near to Sleaford,Lincs you can get the pine panels for half the wickes prices from a manufacturer there, he does deliver too. also does loads of hardwood panels too and solid wood worktops.

mailee":2s4o802c said:
Well Tony, brave or not I have started on the staining at last, more to my annoyance as it turned out like a patchwork quilt!

Sorry to hear it Mailee This has been my experience when (many years ago) I made furniture from Pine and stained (ruined?) it :cry:

I now have a healthy displike of stains :wink:

How did the 3rd attempt come out?

Back