Machine mobility bases?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zambezi

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the SIP 01332 TS and it is in the way! I need to stick it on a wheel kit so I can get in and out of my garage.
Axminster do a wheel kit for about £35, which looks like it will do nicely
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Universal-Mobile-Base-364881.htm
Unfortunately they are out of stock.
Rutlands do a similar looking one but it is around £50, not sure if it is £15 better than the Axminster one?
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery...ses-&-castors/mobile-bases/DK2040/mobile-base
They also do these..
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery...lity-castors/DKMMC/machine-mobilty-castor-set
But again they are £50.

Any ideas or suggestions, I don't particularly want to spend £50 for something that I can get for £35, especially when I have just forked out so much cash on other tools.

Make one with 2 locking casters ( not rubber wheels) and 2 other casters say 75mm high. sheet material and 1x1 location strips easy job and you can remove the SIP metal feet if it will be higher than you like but it will need hoovering out from time to time.

OLD to the rescue again :D
What are the 1 x 1 locating strips you mentioned?

Do you think something like 18mm ply would be sufficient as a base for the SIP?

I did think of using castors but I was worried the machine would be a little unstable on 75mm castors?
There is a Machine Mart down the road and they do loads of castors. If they are not going to be wobbly then I will get some and make a base for it.

Z...as far as I am aware the two bases are identical. They are the ones that I use and maybe you saw them when you came round to the workshop?

Roger

Make the 18mm ply base at least 2 inches larger in both dimensions bolt heads fixing castors to be below surface. Drop on and centralize saw, screw laths to base so saw can not move .
My saw is on 100mm castors ( no SIP legs) which are better for rough floors but there is slight play in lock position.

The Axminster base is very good.
On a machine like a planer or saw you want stability when pushing stock through.
The axi base has two wheels at the back and the front wheels are on a cantilever that are foot operated to lift the front of the machine and lock in the two front wheels that allow manoverability.
When you are in position press the levers with your foot and the rubber feet come down and hold the machine firmly in place.
I have never had a problem with the machines moving when in use with these bases.
If you opt for wheels that lock, I have always been worried that the single point contact of the wheel to the floor may not be enough to keep the machine stationary in use, although I have never used them, maybe another forum member can give some help.
Mike

One problem I can see with casters, even locking ones, is that they wil still turn.
If you have pushed the machine to where you want it and the casters end up at some angle to the direction of feed then as you push the casters will rotate round to be in line with the feed direction. This may or may not be a problem for you but I don't like it.

I have my work bench on locking casters and if I am planing I make sure all the casters are facing the direction I am planing in before I lock them. I can then plane both left to right and right to left. However, if I then plane forwards across the bench then sometimes the casters swivel round and it is enough to throw me off my stroke.
My bench is really heavy being 3" beech all round and with a load of tool cabinets in it adn it will still move.

night train locking castors lock rotation and back /forward. pull m/c a short distance past its final position then push back castors line up and present lock tabs job done.

personally i think the best base on the market is the jet one for about £75,
i have axminster and charnwood ones, i like the pedals on the charnwood better, but all flimsy things really.

I spoke to Axminster today and they said they are expecting new stock on the 24th, so I may wait.
I will probably buy some castor anyway, they are not expensive, and play around with them. If they work OK then I will use them for one of my other machines, if not then they can go onto a mobile tool cabinet or something.

Axminster also do a heavy duty version of that stand but like the Jet, it is out of my league.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=20850&name=mobile+machine&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0
I have just noticed that this is the JET base :roll:

OLD":k8vr73gs said:
night train locking castors lock rotation and back /forward. pull m/c a short distance past its final position then push back castors line up and present lock tabs job done.
Hmmm, mine don't, though I agree they should. They may not be up to the task though. I will investigate one day and maybe get better ones.

Back