Machine graveyard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murdoch

Established Member
Reaction score
A few miles from ours is an old sawmill, all overgrown with a few old workshops which are starting to fall down. We passed early this morning and decided to hop over the fence and take a look. It was amazing, almost as if work finished one day and then it's never been touched! Loads of abandoned machines, tooling, piles of neatly stacked timber and half finished joinery. Photos show a few of the machines and a massive verticals sawmill which runs on tracks.

Attachments

• IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 538
These places always bring up a moral dilemma for me, the stuff is clearly abandoned and taking it home might well save it for the future, but that technically counts as stealing without permission... which always seems next to impossible to obtain :roll:

Whats the story with this one?

I like it. More pictures please.
Rhyolith":3mvaibp0 said:
These places always bring up a moral dilemma for me, the stuff is clearly abandoned and taking it home might well save it for the future, but that technically counts as stealing without permission... which always seems next to impossible to obtain :roll:

Whats the story with this one?
+ 1

Cheers, Vann.

Places like that are always fascinating and very atmospheric too.
Abandoned might not be the right word though. Often complicated probate issues lie behind sites like this. The "owners" might be waiting on permission to clear it out, or might be suspicious of the clearance types who cheerfully offer £20 scrap value for the lot. Or might simply be clinging to it all for sentimental reasons. A tactful approach might open the door to a proper walk around.

It's located in needham market, Suffolk, on the roadside opposite needham lake. There is a contact number on a sign and I've thought of contacting them. I'm pretty sure there leaving it to look as run down as possible to increase the chance of planning for houses.

I think we need a drool smiley :D Them Robinson bandsaws are great bits of kit and that stenner mill :shock:

murdoch":1z4pll4u said:
It's located in needham market, Suffolk, on the roadside opposite needham lake. There is a contact number on a sign and I've thought of contacting them. I'm pretty sure there leaving it to look as run down as possible to increase the chance of planning for houses.
Do it, worst they can do is say no. Assuming you want the machines, guess they be decent ones if restored?

The Robinson bandsaw seems to be a 36" TD-E

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-us/auct ... 8e00fff221

Robinson were best known for making a very nice band resaw that was and still is quite common place in Joinery shops and timber merchants that do some secondary conversion

The band resaw is made by Stenner who are still in business making resaws and if in restorable condition could be a worthwhile machine. It looks like it is a 38" or 40" size which is made to go over a small pit. The photo looks like it is actually raised up off the floor which is quite common to avoid digging a pit.

I see there is another band resaw which has the whole of the bottom wheel in a pit, the blade is still on the machine it seems. It also has the log carriage -lots of cast iron that machine

Also a large rip saw, probably 24" or 30"

Unfortunately it would probably cost £1k to get it transported.

That Stenner mill would be very nice to have........ :shock: ....... that is exactly the machine I have dreamed up believing they don't exist.

The other machines also look useful to a slightly old iron inclined joiner.

Back