Mac Freezing on internet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Unfortunately a lot of his technical computermabob stuff is beyond my ken, so I have done as much as I am currently able to do. Strangely enough having reset the wi-fi channel yet again, the thing is back to normal, hence posting this via Mac and Safari. Let's see how long it lasts.

If it goes again, the option of a wired connection and/or using someone else's network seems to be the first call to see if the problem exists with some incompatibility between OSX and the broadband/wifi.

Up to now it's just been one massive head-hurter. Apple won't "rollback" to an earlier version of OSX or Safari and don't seem to want to supply the current one (or an earlier version) on CD/DVD/Floppy or anything else. To get it loaded that way I'd have to go to either Apple or one of their authorised service centres. The nearest authorised service centre is 30 miles away, which is a very long way via convoluted rural bus routes or British Rail.

Up to now I haven't got any additional virus checkers on board, so if anyone knows of recommended ones please shout out.

As I said it now seems back to normal, so I'm crossing all digits and limbs in the hope it'll stay that way.

I wish it was like a proper tool like a chisel or something, I'd know where I was then, unfortunately computermathingamabobs are becoming a necessary evil, which I'd much rather not have, but you can't beat progress so it seems.

RossJarvis":3o0j5isr said:
Up to now I haven't got any additional virus checkers on board, so if anyone knows of recommended ones please shout out.

Don't bother. I only mentioned it because I'd read of some interaction between Mavericks and some of the anti-virus stuff (Sophos IIRC)

Have you reset the SMC? Usually more effective on hardware controllers like fans, keyboard lights and so on, but wireless hardware issues and even just poor performance can also be solved this way.

I'm running Mavericks 10.9.1 on a 2.3Ghz i5 MB pro with 8Gb of RAM. I had some browsing issues shortly after upgrading but resetting the SMC solved it and it's been working lovely with Infinity2, Homehub 3 and Safari ever since.

RossJarvis":157fmtp2 said:
Cheers Morfa

I thought I'd already posted this but it didn't work, so here's the results of ifconfig etc, not that I have the faintest idea what any of it means :shock: ;

Hopefully there may be some obvious SNAFU in there that might help resolve it. The man from Apple has given up altogether and says it needs to be taken in for a complete erase and start again.

Basically it shows that you're connected correctly to your router, that the DNS (the thing which changes www.google.com into a computer friendly number) is working and that you can connect (on a basic level) to google.

OS reset, for when techs really can't be pineappled to figure out what the real problem is.

Another thing to check (in case it's gotten turned on) is the proxy settings. You go to the Network tab and then look at the proxy settings. Basically you don't want anything in there.

There is one more command to try. Again open up the terminal.

Type:

curl google.com

and you should get this back:

curl google.com
<HTML><HEAD><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8">
<TITLE>301 Moved</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>
<H1>301 Moved</H1>
The document has moved
<A HREF="http://www.google.com/">here</A>.
</BODY></HTML>

and a larger site:

curl www.ukworkshop.co.uk

and you'll get more of the same stuff

Which shows that you can get to google correctly via HTTP. Meaning you don't have any network issues.

Sorry for not getting back to you quicker, but if you can try them that will give a better indication of what's wrong and what's not wrong.

One thought about this...do you have any device that uses radio such as cordless phone, baby alarm etc. in the same room as your computer or modem?
I know from experience that this can interfere with the wifi internet connection and effect computers connected to the same wifi differently.
John

Hmmm, I've now reinstalled OSX as the Mac was able to connect and everything is now working as it was and has been for a few days now.

Neither myself nor Apple have worked out what the problem actually was. It's either a problem with the Mac or the Internet, or a combination of both and that's as far as we got. The problem seemed to go after I reset the wireless channel to one I had not already tried, so it may be that there was too much traffic on all the others (which I would question due to the proliferation of fields hereabouts and dearth of wifi routers).

Thanks a lot for all the effort you guys have gone to to help, particularly Morfa.

Ross

Unlikely to have been the internet, maybe your wifi though. Since it's gone away following your reinstall, it appears to have been releated to your machine's wifi drivers/software

Latest posts

Back