M33 tap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Perform CCSL lathe with a thread of 1" x 8. I have a tap to create matching thread in wood to make "accessories".

I now have a new lathe with M33x3.5 thread.

Question is does anyone one know where I can purchase, for reasonable cost, a M33x3.5 tap and possibly die for creating threads in wood?

Many thanks in advance.

Strat

A M33 tap is a big beast and new ones are not cheap, unless they are far east imports. There is currently a used Goliath one on ebay for £20 or best offef, plus £4.50 carriage, which I think is reasonable considering you could use it on wood, aluminium and steel (if you have the muscles). I wanted a 1 1/4" left hand tap to make faceplates etc for my Viceroy, and they were advertised for £60 plus. Ebay came up trumps again, a set of 3 for £49 - not cheap but very useful, and I may be able to sell them on when I have finished with them (although I have not actually started with them yet).
Keep lookinv though, because these do appear from time to time. I bought a 1 1/2" x 6 for my graduate for £6 - not used that yet either. I did try cutting a large thread in steel a while ago using a long tap stock with the work in the lathe chuck and pressure from the tail stock. Like I said, needs muscles.

Dies tend to be dearer still, although again one on ebay for £23, but no make stated. Probably fine for wood and aluminium though. Agsin, keep looking unless you are in a hurry - I bought a die for my ML8 for abouf £5 (1" x 12).

K

Back