M&T on small table apron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigus

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my first small projects is a small side table. Nothing fancy, I'm only using hand tools at the moment so I just want to get eveything good and square.

I'm going to mortise and tenon the aprons to the legs which are all flush on the top to support the top, but the legs are quite small (40x58) and I'm unsure how deep the tenons can be without clashing on the corners.

- I've seen some mitred tenons, but that sounds tricky?
- Could I cut the tenons then cut them in half so that they alternate and don't clash? That will reduce the strength though I should think.
Any other solutions?

Thanks guys, this forum is proving very valuable already!

I would make the tenons off-centre, keeping them as far to the outside as possible. This allows you to keep the length before they foul each other. And mitring the ends is easy.
Let us say that the apron is set back 3mm, have a shoulder of another 3mm then an 8mm tenon. It'll be fine.

S

I don't think mitring would be an issue. Here is a layout of how the joints could be done. I have allowed for 35mm tenons and as you can see they won't clash. You will have to be very careful you don't break through when cutting the mortice on the short dimension. You could reduce to 30mm if you are unsure about this.

Attachments

• tenon layout.jpg
    tenon layout.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 96

Latest posts

Back