lubrication

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I recently purchased a large planer thicknesser. I am looking at the lubrication of the feed roller bearings. They are a small 8mm brass hex head with a small ball bearing in the centre. Is this an oil can job or is there a different method that I am not aware of ?

Thanks in advance

'Sue'

If it has a ball bearing in the centre it maybe isn't a grease nipple. Use an oil can with a suitable sized nozzle. 3 in 1 oil is probably too thin - something a bit thicker like engine oil, lawnmower oil eg sae 30 or 10/40 grade.

srp":bzuw0lh7 said:
If it has a ball bearing in the centre it maybe isn't a grease nipple. Use an oil can with a suitable sized nozzle. 3 in 1 oil is probably too thin - something a bit thicker like engine oil, lawnmower oil eg sae 30 or 10/40 grade.

I didn't know that.
I always thought a grease nipple had a ball bearing to stop the grease pushing back out. Like this:
1.png

Attachments

• Grease%20Fitting.jpg
    Grease%20Fitting.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 1.png
    1.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 161
looking at the manual it asks for a weekly dose of exepa mo2 or brs2 . This may indicate if it's an oil or grease nipple ?

'Sue'

sue denim":2duve6ig said:
looking at the manual it asks for a weekly dose of exepa mo2 or brs2 . This may indicate if it's an oil or grease nipple ?

'Sue'

MO2 is lithium grease Sue, I have some in my garage. I don't know what brs2 is but suspect it's similar.

Bob

Hello Sue,

Maybe you need one of these for a grease gun.

Merlin

Attachments

• grease.JPG
    grease.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 53
Hi

MO2 and BR2, (note I don't know of BRS2), are both Extreme Pressure Lithium greases with molybdenum disulphide, (MoS2), as an additive - they will be dark grey in colour, (from the molybdenum), normal Lithium grease is usually a light brown.

From your description it sounds like you have a standard grease nipple which is charged with this:

GG.png

It needs to be fitted with one of these - it should come supplied that way

Fitting.png

If you're buying a grease gun as per above it would be best to get one with a flexible hose rather than the rigid pipe as shown in the photo above.

Regards Mick

Attachments

• GG.png
    GG.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Fitting.png
    Fitting.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 46
Back