lubrication

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think people need to experiment. Its already a known fact that silicones will contaminate certain finishes. Therefore you remove any possibility on the work surface. Garages use a degreasing agent before refinishing. Clean rags only.

You can't avoid the stuff -its airborne, on your clothes from detergent- but you can safe-guard your work as much as you can. Maybe Sellers doesn't use cellulose/poly/acrylic etc, finishes. There are light machine oils that are silicone free - even for foodstuff in factory enviroments. But as custard pointed out, some people use camelia oil.

I didn't even consider the contamination factor of oil on wood. It raises a good point though. What would be the most obvious things to look out for? Rather than the VERY obvious staining/marks on wood etc...

I have a similar type of oil I made using a drill bit tube, I use it to wipe down tools for storage to keep rust at bay. For lubricating planes or drill bits I prefer beeswax or a candle.

Back