Low sulphur wood?? For silver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make a box to contain some gold gilted silver and apparently it needs to be in a box which is made of a wood which doesn't give off much / any sulphur as it will tarnish the silver (even where gilted).

Any ideas? Will cocoobola do?

Miles

Hi Miles

I came across this problem about 3 years ago when putting together a tender response for a local museum who required several display cabinets for priceless antiqities. The criteria was so strict it was mindboggling and I didnt in the end go ahead with a submission. Everything in the cabinet, wood, glue, finishes, any other material used such as oil/grease in the cabinet locks! had to be guaranteed not to give off gasses. Even if I had managed to in the tender with approved materials I wouldnt have been qualified to site the cabinets in the museum. All I would have been able to do is deliver them and pay someone else to install them, ie move them from the entrance and put them on the floor in the right location.
I did investigate the materials side and there is a national association of conservators who work in museums. I cant remember their proper name/website but will probably show up on google. I would imagine that any large museum with a conservation dept would either be able to help you out or point you in the right direction. There is probably lists of approved materials for conservators to use and I know you can buy acid free paper and the likes quite easily. Sorry I cant be more specific but I hope I have given you a head start.

Mike

Back