Type of wood fr wooden jewellery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madera

Reaction score
Hello,

Any idea on where i can buy pieces of wood to make out of jewellery.
Also the type of wood i should go fr.
I have pieces of pine wood, but I find it breakable when trying to cut intricate pieces out of it.
Does not help that I am using my father cut branches which has been lying outside fr
ages in unprotected weather.

I think pine is going to make you life very difficult. I would suggest something much more close grained. Lime will be easy to carve and takes detail well, but is soft so not very tough. Apart from that, it would depend on the look and if you wanted native or were prepared to use tropical species. From the UK, cherry, apple (indeed any fruitwood), holly or yew will all be very pretty.

If you don't mind tropical species of questionable ethics the list is endless, African blackwood, Pink Ivory for a start are spectacular to look at. Woodturning supply shops probably a good place to start looking.

A lot depends on what size you'd like.
Good advice above, I'd also add that Box can be good wood for detail.
For little items check out the suppliers that sell pre-cut wood for pen turning. Although small it's often a good way of trying exotic timbers without breaking the bank.

I've done a far amount of just that so strongly recommend any exotic hardwood.

I particularly favour Cocobolo - though any of the various Rosewoods, if you can ever source any, are worthwhile as would be Snakewood or, for a lighter (visually) option, Masur Birch. Even Zebra Wood for slightly larger items.

Box is bland, being essentially white but I've also used a lot of Ebony being the opposite, often inlaid with Mother of Pearl, Silver etc. and for a stong 'red/orange', Padauk or Pink Ivory.

Any of the 'burrs' of course will provide 'interest' as small items and, as has been said, 'Pen Blanks' have to be the route to go.

There are so many amazing UK woods that you really do not need to use important tropical or other woods that come from questionable sources. If making jewellery then firewood logs are suitable, especially if you have a small bandsaw. If the woods are wet then saw into smaller pieces and they dry quickly, you can even microwave them to dry them out faster. Just obtain small branches or various species and experiment. Oak and chestnut are easily ebonized by painting on a vinegar and iron liquid, the timber will go pitch black.

Latest posts

Back