Lots of stuff came my way yesterday.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Yellow_Ardvark

Established Member
Reaction score
helping clear out abandoned sheds at the local allotments I was able to save some stuff.

DSCN1233.JPG

They are all now working.

DSCN1242.JPG

A few cooking stoves.

DSCN1220.JPG

Nice old tape measures.

DSCN1218.JPG

DSCN1211.JPG

Nice floor board saw.

DSCN1200.JPG

It's hard to believe that just over 60 years ago in the backwoods of Co Antrim those tillie lamps were in common use as the light source in the evenings.

I've never had reason to write it down before so have no idea how to spell tillie, tilly ?

last time I attempted to use a primus stove. I was on a school camping trip. We were shown how to light them, then left to our own devices. Not 10 mins later. they were engulfed on flames. next to a building. Instructor calmly walked up. put his boot behind it into the middle of the empty field. 'Let it burn out and go and fetch it back' When we went to fetch the item. we were amazed how many little burnt patches in a 5 foot circle there were. Obviously, we weren't the first. or possibly not the last either.

Are the leather ones rabones
I was using my 30M one yesterday, still the best tape I have.

Just had a look and mine is an Abone Chesterman, must be over fifty years old now.

Last edited:
I occasionally use mine too......It was my Grandfather's and I'm 61, so heaven knows how old my tape is....?
If I remember correctly, it's all in Feet & Inches, which is no surprise considering how old it must be.....

I was using my 30M one yesterday, still the best tape I have.

Just had a look and mine is an Abone Chesterman, must be over fifty years old now.

I occasionally use mine too......It was my Grandfather's and I'm 61, so heaven knows how old my tape is....?
If I remember correctly, it's all in Feet & Inches, which is no surprise considering how old it must be.....

As long as you are measuring something that doesn't require much accuracy they will be fine............

I use my Dads which he got as an apprentice quantity surveyor so that was over 60 years ago. It gets pulled out occasionally but I normally reach for the modern version which has metric. The Rabone is rare combination of form and function.

When I was working at rabone chesterman sheffield I knew the guy who was making them then, the leather was formed and then sent out to homeworkers to be stitched together

Back