Looking to buy a Wadkin 10AGS Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill81

Reaction score
Hi I am looking to buy a Wadkin 10AGS Table Saw or similar the trouble is most of them seem to be 3 Phase and I need 240v.

If I was to buy a 3 phase TS how much would it cost to get it changed to single phase and what would I need to buy.
Also how much roughly would it cost to have an electric brake fitted.

Thanks in advance

Phill

Looked into this a bit when I bought my wadkin planer. 2hp motor £125-£200 depending on brand etc. To do it properly a new switch £20-£30, new pulleys as motor shaft likely a difference size £15-£20. No idea about the electric break but I think pricey. Biggest issue I saw was getting the mounting that matched.

I ended up going the inverter route which cost me £100 ish, I had to change the motor from star to delta and fit a new relay inside the old switch (£10). It was more complicated electrically but I'm pretty handy and worked it out myself using the internet. There is a chap on here that often supports folks in this stuff, myfordman I think. It's my understanding that it's also easy to fit an electric break to an inverter, it just needs a big resistor wiring into some part of the inverter, not done it personally as the planer stops in under 10s.

Cheers

F.

I've got an AGS I rebuilt from a pile of scrap. Everything Fitzroy said is spot on. I did mine differently, as I got a 3hp single phase motor from Axi in a sale. DON'T DO IT! They are aluminium bodied chiwanese tat and the capacitors gave me a hellish run-around before I found a competent motor rebuilder. What he said about the Axi motor would take wallpaper off walls. :shock: Three phase motors are plentiful on eBay and Gumtree and my experience on an old 3-ph Naerok (reverse the letters!) pillar drill and an inverter was SO much better than the Axi/AGS combo... :x

Myfordman is Bob Minchin ("We re not worthy" [-o< ) and he has a paper circulating on the web detailing how to switch delta to star etc. SO many goodies in that paper....Google his name and look for a PDF 'hit'; that's the one you want to read.

Good luck, enjoy.

Sam

As above, Myfordman is the absolute guru.

I'm restoring a Startrite 275DS with a 3hp motor using an inverter. Depending on type you can use the inverter with a suitable add-on for DC injection braking. If you're not using the saw many times in a row the actual "ramp" down speed can be configured to something sensible without generating too much heat, otherwise the braking resistor can be added.

Best of luck, you won't regret it!

Stephen

I took the costlier but easier route for my AGS10. I got a 240V single phase to 415V 3 phase converter from Drives Direct. This works beautifully, gives full power and full speed (even overspeed if you are crazy!) and a soft start and 8 second braked stop. It's the third I have got; the other two are on a metal lathe and milling machine, four years ago, and they have all been very satisfactory. The technical support at DD is excellent, also, and will hold your hand while you wire it up.

It cost £440 about 2 years ago (twice as much as the saw) but has been well worth while.

Keith

As you say 'most' of the saws are 3 phase, but Wadkin built single phase machines. My single phase version started life in an educational establishment and has origial swichgear and the motor works well. I have to run it on a dedicated 16A supply with a type C circuit breaker. I would keep your eyes open for a single phase version.

Misterfish

Back